Tellstick DMX driver need!

Moderator: Telldus

jonash

Re: Tellstick DMX driver need!

Post by jonash »

Now, I have never used Eventghost so I am just guessing now... But would it really be happy about getting around 25-50 commands per second, continously (all of them being approx. 512 byte long). The DMX bus dont send changes, it is a realtime stream of current data. Also, to detect the start of each sequence you need to detect the break (a very short pause in the stream).

If you cant get it to work through Eventghost, post a message and I'll see if I can do some test with Art-net. I have the library somewhere, and combining that with the library from Tellstick should be a fairly quick and easy task. I am still not convinced that DMX -> Tellstick is such a good idea, but just for the experiment it could be fun to see if it could work!

/Jonas
tonic

Post by tonic »

Hi Jonash,

I think you get it right: Artnet is a good way. I'm using VirtualDj, there is a plugin for Freestyler so it is fully compatible. If you are able to develop a driver using Artnet it should work.
DMX >> TellStick is not really a Normal way of working, mainly because of the speed changes on DMX bus is too quick.
But never mind, DMX could be used only to switch on/off some light at slow speed using 16 or 32 beat divider per example.
Now just for fun to see if it could work is a nice method !
How can I help you Jonash?
jonash

Post by jonash »

I think the on/off interval you can expect on one singe channel is approx. 1 second (max 1 switch per second). For any additional channel it will increase. Keep in mind that you can only send one channel code at a time, and each code needs to be sent at least 2-4 times.

What I will do is to see if I can find the art-net code I was using a couple of years ago, and try to make an art-net receiver software. Once that is working it is very simple to add support for tellstick. It will take a couple of days, but I keep you informed about any progress.

/Jonas