My Events / Trick

Moderator: Telldus

philarete

My Events / Trick

Post by philarete »

Ok, i just want to share my first tries and corrections for programming My Events.

I have a tellstick Net since 3 years (i just used it for rolling shutter till i wanted to control my heaters too for real human needs...), 8 controlled heaters (chacon and otio), 4 lights, One bell ring, one obscurity sensor, 7 rolling shutter (soon 9) and 2 moving detectors, three remotes (2 buttons and a Three buttons slots), 4 oregon HGWR sensors, one rainmeter and a windmeter.

I control my heaters with different temperatures for days, nights, weekends; i control my hoses during summer; i control my rolling shutters according to time, weather conditions, human presence. I even test human presence and send mail alert if an intrusion is detected when family's out from home.

1/ The first thing who changed my life is the "TimeTriggerAny" condition. You can associate, like a cron job, an every minute test and control an event.

2/ I always create a dummy device as i read in a post and i program a "multi time trigger event", working according to my sensors, for activating a device.
For example, let's say i want test every hour my obscurity sensor from 6AM to 8AM during weekend when we're out of home (it's just an example, that's ok, not a real safety check.) I create a device in "my devices" (with a dummy reference to a ghost device) i call "ghostTestObsc". Once i'm done, i program an every hour trigger event (6-8AM). If device is ON, i want my dummy device to be on. Once i'm done, i input a new "Event" triggered by my ON ghost device and connected to my real action. Acting this way allow me to create a set of conditions (if button has been pressed, if it's weekend....) without adding new confusing conditions in my Time/event/firstmission device programmation.

3/ One trick for heaters: At the beginning, telldus was testing every 5 minutes temp sensor: if temp was > XX and sun was not done, it turned it off. Well, the problem according to me was i wanted to avoid too many orders to be transmitted for nothing. It's clever to (first) create a ghost device lighted on by sensor and by the way to light on heater if the device is already off.

Well, that's all i can help and share. If you have anything to ask or add....
raag

Re: My Events / Trick

Post by raag »

Hi, ran into your thread, and was hopeing you could guide me in the right direction, running latest fw on the Tellstick Net.

I'm trying to controll a heater, but can't figure out how to make this working (even read a few threads).
I would like (just for tesing) to turn my heater on when the temperature goes below 22C
(and off when the temperature goes over 25C).
The temperature sensor is reading 20C. Since the temperature is 20C right now,
why wont Tellstick turn my receiver/heater on? The temperature is below 22C....
Best regards
arneolav

Post by arneolav »

Tellstic will fire only when your temp is passing the wanted value.
If the temperarture is steady below/over, nothing will happend.
Have a look here: http://developer.telldus.se/blog; Sensor triggers and rearm boundaries
raag

Post by raag »

Hi, thanks for the answer, the link does explain why though.
So, this means, as long as the temperature does not passes 22C, nothing will ever happen,
and the heater will not be fired to heat the room....
In my opinion, the best thing would be to check the temperature every 60sec, or every 5min.
Do you know an alternative configuration to solve this? I've read about dummy-devices, but have not figured out how and why.....

Best regards
etompau

Post by etompau »

raag wrote:Hi, thanks for the answer, the link does explain why though.
So, this means, as long as the temperature does not passes 22C, nothing will ever happen,
In my opinion, the best thing would be to check the temperature every 60sec, or every 5min.
Do you know an alternative configuration to solve this? I've read about dummy-devices, but have not figured out how and why.....

Best regards
Buy a Pro licence. Then you can create an Event that runs every minute and tests the temperature level and activates/deactivates your heater.
raag

Post by raag »

Yes, I could, but I would like to figure out this, one way or the other, this is after all open source, and should not be necessary to go Pro to have all the functionallity.
raag

Post by raag »

The main reason for buying the Net, was to controll heaters, depending on the temperature.
I was not aware of, that this feature had to be payed for, if I knew, I may have chosen another solution....
raag

Post by raag »

But, I have to admit, with some great help from Telldus Support, I now have a sollution that work, I'll stcick to the Net.... :)
philarete

Post by philarete »

Well done !
Before upgrading (because i wanted mail solutions), i input a "12 times an hour, 24 times a day" events (it's a bit long to do, i might confess) for testing temperature.
Then i upgraded.
It's now OK.
Even if sometimes TellNet falls asleep for 3 hours during weekend........... :help:
siiiiiigh
Vaffel

Post by Vaffel »

etompau wrote:
raag wrote:Hi, thanks for the answer, the link does explain why though.

Best regards
Buy a Pro licence. Then you can create an Event that runs every minute and tests the temperature level and activates/deactivates your heater.
Etompau: How do you set up such an event? I have PRO but can't figure out where this option is. Would you care to explain? Thanks!
EDIT: Found it finally. For those who is looking for the same as I; it's at the top of the list of hours.
arneolav

Post by arneolav »

Go to MyEvents,
in Triggers define:
if you want the trigger to fire every 10 minute:
Define Any 00, Any 10, Any 20.... 30, 40, 50.
In Actions:
Activate a "dummy" device. (First you have to create a dummy device, define as any Nexa is ok)

Then you can test on the dummy to trig other devices.
roamath

Post by roamath »

I have been using the Tellstick Net for about two years, controlling the a few on/off lighting points in my house. Up to now this has been done very simple, but now I want to do this a bit more advanced, with more points, dimming, temp sensors, taking into account sunrise/sunset, inside/outside lighting, when people are at home etc. I have tried to do this with Scheduler, but trying to tweek the timing/functionality best possible this is getting quite complicated and not possible at all with sensors. So then I had a hope to solve this using Events, and this fixed most of the problems relatively easy, except for the very crucial point, differentiate weekdays, weekends and all days.

Why on earth is this not possible in Events??? Having said that, why not have ONE complete solution instead of two??? I have noticed in several posts the use of "dummies". Is the solution to my problems using dummies, then using Scheduler to use the weekdays, weekends and all days option and then using the dummies in Events as a trigger??? My advice is, make ONE robust programming solution with all the functionality at one place.

Finally, I hope Telldus would reconcider the Live/Live Pro policy. Having spent money on Tellstick Net I wuold like to use the product at its full potential without having to pay additional "fees".
etompau

Post by etompau »

roamath wrote: I have noticed in several posts the use of "dummies". Is the solution to my problems using dummies, then using Scheduler to use the weekdays, weekends and all days option and then using the dummies in Events as a trigger??? My advice is, make ONE robust programming solution with all the functionality at one place.
If you create one or more dummy devices, you can then use them in the scheduler, switching them on or off as needed.
Then use the dummy device in the condition section of your event, thereby enabling/disabling the event. Perhaps this fulfils your needs, if not, come back with a more detailed description of your set-up.