Heating monitor

Moderator: Telldus

matson1111

Heating monitor

Post by matson1111 »

Hi,

I've been thinking of building a device that can gather information from several temperature sensors and power monitoring sensors and send them on to a computer via Tellstick DUO, which then will work as a standard format middleware.
It should probably be done with PIC stuff (I'm no hardware type of developer so feel free correct any stupid assumptions I make) and one wire, at least for temperature.
Being developed for the Tellstick, not the other way around, I would design it to work right away. So can you recommend how to organize my protocols to do just that? Saves me the marketing to get you guys interested in adding support for it and viceversa :wink:
matson1111

Re: Heating monitor

Post by matson1111 »

Ok,

Then, can you tell me how to send data events to Tellstick Duo that you will understand without you guys doing anything? Am I missing something? Can I just send it and picking it up in my own format in my app via the telldus-core API's?
micke.prag
Site Admin

Post by micke.prag »

Currently we only support two temperature protocols.
One from Oregon and one from FineOffset. The problem is finding documentation how these work...
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies
matson1111

Post by matson1111 »

Ok,

I'm only asking how you guys want signals so I can pick them up in my application using telldus core. I'm planning on building both sides of your fine device. Is this not impossible? Do I have to be nexa or something to talk to your thing?

I haven't looked much at the newer APIs, can I send stuff from my device to the Telldus DUO and parse it as I sent it. Then I would be all set.
micke.prag
Site Admin

Post by micke.prag »

matson1111 wrote:I'm only asking how you guys want signals so I can pick them up in my application using telldus core. I'm planning on building both sides of your fine device. Is this not impossible? Do I have to be nexa or something to talk to your thing?
If you only want to transmit on and off-signals, the ArcTech protocol (a.k.a. Nexa) will suffice. For temperatures it will not.
matson1111 wrote:I haven't looked much at the newer APIs, can I send stuff from my device to the Telldus DUO and parse it as I sent it.
No, not without modifying the firmware in the Duo. The initial filtering is done there and the acctual decoding is done in telldus-core.
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies
matson1111

Post by matson1111 »

So you don't want to answer my question. Are you planning to build this stuff yourself? Or does nexa and the others pay you not help me compete agains products they don't sell? That doesn't make much sense.

You have a potential killer piece of kit here. It's nice that you support various current products on the market, but if you present a spec for how to send data _TO_ tellstick duo that can be received as events from the telldus-core APIs the usefulness would grow exponentially.
Zaman

Post by Zaman »

You can mimic the signals from any supported remote (on/off and dim signals). They send the same kind of signal that all the TellSticks send and the protocols are described in the code and documentation provided by Telldus.
If you plan on implementing something that doesn't look like the signals from a remote I don't think that a TellStick will solve your problem at the moment, there are protocols and products that exist for that purpose like 1-wire if you want a wired solution or ZigBee if you want a wireless solution.
micke.prag
Site Admin

Post by micke.prag »

matson1111 wrote:So you don't want to answer my question. Are you planning to build this stuff yourself? Or does nexa and the others pay you not help me compete agains products they don't sell? That doesn't make much sense.
No, we don't avoid your question. But please read what I wrote earlier:
micke.prag wrote:The problem is finding documentation how these work...
We simply don't have the documentation you request.
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies
matson1111

Post by matson1111 »

I didn't ask for the other guys protocols. It's how you prefer to receive the signals over 433.92.

Nevermind, forgett it.
micke.prag
Site Admin

Post by micke.prag »

The way we prefer to receive the signals, at the moment, is using the Oregon or Fineoffset protocols. If we had more information to give you we would gladly give it to you.
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies