About running the virtual com port on OS X

Moderator: Telldus

pfspontus

About running the virtual com port on OS X

Post by pfspontus »

Hi all,

It's been a while since I had time to dabble with tellsticks, and finally got around to get the duo up and running on my mac book pro. I don't use the TelldusCore since it doesn't work with the latest drivers from ftdi on snowleopard.

I use the VCP driver and minicom when testing to connect to the duo. When I'm sure it's working on the hardware side of things I use ruby via the serialport. Some of you might have seen the trigger_switch_d gem on gemcutter.org.

Since I had a snag when setting up the duo, I thought I should tell you about it if only to take you through the process faster. I solved all my snaggs with the help of the documentation on the ftdichip.com site.

My problem was that the duo didn't show up in the /dev folder, skimming through the installation doc. pointed towards the TN_105 doc. that basically told me to look in the /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Content/Info.plist and add a copy of the "Telldus USB" entry under the IOKitPersonalities attribute. When added change the idProduct to 3121, then open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

>> sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
>> sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
That did it for me, I got it to show up the same way my regular tellstick does.

I have one question though, when I type S+ or R+ in minicom I expect +S or +R returned to verify the connection but nothing happens, did this change from the older versions? When I use my remotes to trigger the duo it works fine I get strings similar to
+Rprotocol:sartano;code:1111001010;method:turnoff;
Thanks for the duo by the way, I've just only started testing as I said earlier. I did leave feedback through your form, and I'm sure I'll have more feedback for you later when I've done some more testing.

/Pontus
micke.prag
Site Admin

Re: About running the virtual com port on OS X

Post by micke.prag »

R+ is no command, just an event, so the Duo will not respond +R

But +S should be returned after a S+...
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies