Tellstick NET - Minimum repeat interval in trigger events

Moderator: Telldus

jkallio

Tellstick NET - Minimum repeat interval in trigger events

Post by jkallio »

After recent update Minimum repeat interval had been defaulted to 30 sec in all my trigger events. While setting them back to 0 I noticed that I'm not allowed to do it anymore, as the minimum value is now 2 seconds. Is there a specific reason for this?

...Or, if small delay between the commands is absolutely required, could this at least be implemented in a way that the events get triggered before the delay counter is started and not after. Currently whenever I trigger an event, I'll have to wait 2 seconds before actions get executed. This is really annoying when trying to do simple tasks, e.g. switching on my lights and devices.
etompau

Re: Tellstick NET - Minimum repeat interval in trigger event

Post by etompau »

The minimum repeat interval is not involved when you trigger an event. A triggered event is executed as fast as possible (1-2 seconds in the signalling path). The timer only inhibits the re-triggering of the event.
I guess the reason for a 2 seconds delay is to avoid flooding the servers with incoming/outgoing signals.
jkallio

Post by jkallio »

I understand there is some delay from Tellstick to receiver, but from my experience, it should not be this long. And I'm pretty sure something changed in the behaviour after the update (after those trigger values were defaulted). At least I wasn't experiencing these delays week ago.

For example, right now as I control a light with the iPhone application, the delay from key press to lights turning on is 1 second at most. I also have Nexa motion sensor here with me and I've set a trigger event that should turn on the same light as soon as it detects motion. By looking at Telldus Live website, I notice that the motion is detected right away (timer icon appears above the event). But the delay from this trigger to lights actually turning on is somewhere near 2-5 seconds!. The only difference in these two scenarios is that in the case of motion sensor I control the receiver through a trigger event.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't both signals travel through the same path, so it shouldn't be network delay I'm experiencing here. Also, as the motion sensor triggers the event almost instantaneously, the signal is at least received ok in the server side.
etompau

Post by etompau »

If you experience a changed behaviour and much longer delays, you could ask Tellus support for assistance.
http://www.telldus.se/support/index

The minimum repeat interval delay has, as far as I know, been present from the very start of event handling, and the reason is as follows:
Update minimum repeat interval.
After an event has been activated there is a 30 seconds delay before the event can be activated again. This is to prevent for instance motion sensors that sends updates for several seconds to flood actions. Without this an event could be executed up to ten times within a couple of seconds. Sometimes you might need to lower this limit and sometimes you might need it to be even longer. We now allow you to edit it to fit your needs. You can find this setting under "Advanced setting" where you edit your event.

When you test the behaviour, take a look at the Tellstick Net - when your detector sends it's command, the Net flashes blue, then when the Telldus Live returns the action and the Net forward the radio command, the Net flashes red.