Second tellstick.net

Moderator: Telldus

Timwansdyke

Second tellstick.net

Post by Timwansdyke »

I have been having some problems with range on my tellstick.net I have about 14 sockets, 3 temperature probes, 4 lights and 4 PIRs of various manufacturers plus 2 foogadgets energy meters.
I have tried placing the tellstick in a number of locations but there is always a compromise which seems to relate to distance i.e. the furthest ones start to fail.
I therefore have purchased a second tellstick.net which is at the opposite end of the house the idea being that by using two I can dedicate certain items to a particular unit.
Got the second unit today and it registered fine, however in Tellmon.net you can choose a location but not in telldus live.
Any idea what will happen?
Both units seem to be picking up signals from all transmitters though with different IDs but I have no idea which one is controlling my devices, it doesn't really matter as long as they work! I just want to know if this has been tried elsewhere and if there are issues I should be aware of.
AS mentioned elsewhere a signal strength meter would be helpful, plus is there any advise on antenna orientation. I always put mine vertically on the tellstick but is this the optimal, any way I can tell other than trial and error?
Although my house is in the country there is a lot of other traffic going on such as microwaves, garage door openers etc. I also used to have a couple of OWL remote energy meters ( I have solar panels and wanted to monitor generation and usage) now using foogadgets for the same purpose. Onvce I took away the OWL meters things got much better.
Tim
etompau

Re: Second tellstick.net

Post by etompau »

When you are having issues with radio coverage, I would suggest to start with an external antenna for your Tellstick Net. There are lot of cheap 433 MHz antennas on the Ebay to choose from. With an external antenna, freely mounted on a metal ground plane, you can maximize the transmission and receiving range. Horizontal or vertical position is a matter of trial&error.

In Live, all your devices connected to your two Net/locations will show up in the same Device list. This is "by design".

The presented ID from your sensors should be the same in both Net, as the ID number is coming from the sensor itself.

The 433 MHz band is a licence free band, and interference can of course occur, but normally the transmission time is so short that in practice you will never notice any problem. Microwave owen - never heard of interference between Tellstick and a micro.
Timwansdyke

Re: Second tellstick.net

Post by Timwansdyke »

Thanks for your help, however the sensors do show up with different IDs in tellmon.net e.g 2620911 3442470 though they have the same id in telldus.live both of the one above being 41.
Have ordered an aerial, thank you for the suggestion.