how much bandwidth does tellstick net / telldus live use?

Moderator: Telldus

howcome

how much bandwidth does tellstick net / telldus live use?

Post by howcome »

I'm very happy with my Tellstick Net and the Telldus Live service. I now plan to move my box to a place where I pay for bandwidth by the kB and wonder what the cost of running it will be. Also, is there a way for me to reduce the frequency of updates? For example, the thermometer sends data to the Tellstick Net with a given frequency, data which is passed onto the Telldus Live service. Does this happen continously, or only when I log into the Telldus Live service? Is there any way for me to configure the Tellstick Net to reduce such updates to a minimum?
etompau

Re: how much bandwidth does tellstick net / telldus live use

Post by etompau »

I would say that the traffic generated by the signalling between Tellstick Net and the servers is negligible. I use a Net on a mobile broadband without any problems, the traffic is hardly visible.
Whenever a transmitter sends it's data to the Net, the Net will forward this information to the servers. You cannot control this yourself, unless you switch off the transmitter.
howcome

Post by howcome »

Thanks for your reply. Do you know how often the thermometer reports? And, if no sensors are attached and no switches are flipped, will Net still use bandwidth?
etompau

Post by etompau »

The transmission interval of a sensor is roughly 1 minute (brand and type dependent). You cannot rule out that the Net will receive sensor information from neighbouring sensors.
Even when the Net is idle, there will be communication between the servers and the Net.
howcome

Post by howcome »

Transmission every minute seems wasteful in my scenario. I'd like to have thermo-transmission at most every hour. Is there a thermometer which has configurrable transmission intervals? the alternative, I guess, it to put the Net unit on a timer so that it only has power (say) a few minutes per hour. In this case, will the Live service remember me flipping a switch and transmit it to Net unit when it comes back online?
etompau

Post by etompau »

If you buy/build the wireless multi sensor http://foogadgets.tictail.com/products you can program the transmission rate. Don't know if yoy can extend the interval to hours though.
A timer on the Net seems to me as a bad idea. The Net is constructed/designed to have a constant internet access. I really cannot see that the traffic created by the Net should be a problem, we are not talking about streaming video in HD quality.
howcome

Post by howcome »

Thanks for the pointer, it seems that the maximum transmission interval for the unit is 2.5 * 255 seconds = 637 seconds, or ~10 minutes. Which is better than 1 min by a magnitude, but still too frequent for my scenario, which involves satellites in remote places.
niclasf

Post by niclasf »

That is correct. However, if you want longer time I can tweak the code specifically for you so that you get 200 times the current interval time.

Niclas
Foogadgets