WiFi Adaptor

http://automagucally.weebly.com

Moderators: davka003, Telldus

misterleffe

WiFi Adaptor

Post by misterleffe »

I'm going to set my Automagically for WiFi mode and now I'm looking for a "out of the box" working adaptor. The TP-Link TL-WN823N is first choice and second choice is TL-WN725N. Are these dongles o good choice and will they work "out of the box"? Of course, if someone suggest another dongle working with Automagically, I'm open mind for that!

I also want to have a static IP's for my Automagically, compatible for LAN Connection and WiFi. I found these settings for the file /etc/networks/interface

auto wlan0
iface default inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.31
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.32
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
#wireless-power off
wpa-ssid "SSIDname"
wpa-psk "network-password"

Is there anybody who have objections or suggestions for these settings? First part is working with LAN Connection and static IP. Please advise me for the correct WiFi dongle!!

/misterleffe
KHolm

Re: WiFi Adaptor

Post by KHolm »

Hi,

Cannot help directly as I'm not using WiFi, but I've been contemplating to add that option.

Found this quite detailed guide on how to go about this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/167425/how-to- ... mand-line/

Of the two adapters you listed, I would go for the TL-WN823N, mainly since it seems supported out of the box in Rasbian "Weezy". TL-WN725N seems to be behaving differently if v1 or v2. Note that both requires an external powered USB hub to work with the Pi - which is also good for the Tellstick. More info can be found here: http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

Personally I would have considered DWA-121 that according to Kjelle and the above link works out of the box with Rasbian.
http://www.kjell.com/teman/raspberry-pi
http://www.kjell.com/sortiment/dator-kr ... 121-p68798
A bit more pricey than the TP-Link variant.

Finally, do you really have to go for a static-ip solution. Most routers today will allow you to do DCHP reservations. By doing it like this you will keep your configuration centralized. This task is extremely simple with my DIR-655...
Here's a tutorial how to do it on DD-WRT; still most commercial routers has this option built in.
http://www.howtogeek.com/69612/how-to-s ... rt-router/

/Marcus
jimmy927

Post by jimmy927 »

misterleffe wrote:I'm going to set my Automagically for WiFi mode and now I'm looking for a "out of the box" working adaptor. The TP-Link TL-WN823N is first choice and second choice is TL-WN725N. Are these dongles o good choice and will they work "out of the box"? Of course, if someone suggest another dongle working with Automagically, I'm open mind for that!
I use this one and it works "out of the box"

http://www.webbshoppen.se/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:3164045
KHolm

Post by KHolm »

Hi,

Bought an Edimax and had severe issues with it using the Pi's USB port. Sometimes the Pi got unresponsive but more often the signal handler of Automagically died.

Moved it to the externally powered USB hub and now it all works fine. Just as good as when it was on Ethernet cable.

Seems the Edimax requires 500mA and the should not be used for more than 100mA according to some google post.

Marcus
KHolm

Post by KHolm »

KHolm wrote:Hi,

Bought an Edimax and had severe issues with it using the Pi's USB port. Sometimes the Pi got unresponsive but more often the signal handler of Automagically died.

Moved it to the externally powered USB hub and now it all works fine. Just as good as when it was on Ethernet cable.

Seems the Edimax requires 500mA and the Pi should not be used for more than 100mA according to some google post.

Marcus
lasses

Post by lasses »

I've been using a cheap wifi adaptor for my raspberries: Mini Ralink RT5370 USB Wifi Adaptador WLAN 802.11n/g/b (http://www.ebay.com/itm/360761868248)
While i am sure there is higher quality products on the market it works fine powered from the raspberry (with a tellstick duo in the other usb port).

I am using this both at home and in my caravan where i use the camp site's wifi network to create a ssh-tunnel for remotecontrolling heat/read temperatures in the caravan.

/Lasse
misterleffe

Post by misterleffe »

lasses wrote:I've been using a cheap wifi adaptor for my raspberries: Mini Ralink RT5370 USB Wifi Adaptador WLAN 802.11n/g/b (http://www.ebay.com/itm/360761868248)
While i am sure there is higher quality products on the market it works fine powered from the raspberry (with a tellstick duo in the other usb port).

I am using this both at home and in my caravan where i use the camp site's wifi network to create a ssh-tunnel for remotecontrolling heat/read temperatures in the caravan.

/Lasse
How does your files, according to http://www.howtogeek.com/167425/how-to- ... mand-line/, looks? I have tried to follow the instructions at the mentioned link, but I have no success ... Should there be static or dhcp IP for the WiFi dongle?

Which files have you updated? Thanks in advance for correct lines in the needed files!!!

Another thing, I will say a little strange behavior, is about my powered USB-hub. If I make a restart or a reboot of the Pi, will the red LED on the Pi remain as it was powered up. This fact will make that the Pi will not start up after restart/reboot. I must disconnect the USB Cable before it will boot. It doesn't matter if the Tellstick and WiFI adaptor both are connected to the hub. Right now is the Tellstick connected directly to the Pi and WiFi dongle to the powered hub.

How should Pi behave when connected to the hub (when the Pi is unpowered and connected to the powered USB hub)?
Maybe the Pi behave like this?

/misterleffe
KHolm

Post by KHolm »

misterleffe wrote: Another thing, I will say a little strange behavior, is about my powered USB-hub. If I make a restart or a reboot of the Pi, will the red LED on the Pi remain as it was powered up. This fact will make that the Pi will not start up after restart/reboot. I must disconnect the USB Cable before it will boot. It doesn't matter if the Tellstick and WiFI adaptor both are connected to the hub. Right now is the Tellstick connected directly to the Pi and WiFi dongle to the powered hub.

How should Pi behave when connected to the hub (when the Pi is unpowered and connected to the powered USB hub)?
Maybe the Pi behave like this?
I have the same behaviour, the Pi seems to be leaking power from the "UBS out" and the power microUSB". What I did (for better or worse) is that I feed the Pi with power from the USB Hub. In essence, I have two cables from the USB Hub to the Pi. One to feed power to it and one to collect data from it.

With this set-up I only have on 220 transformer and no issues with shutdown/reboot.

/Marcus
lasses

Post by lasses »

misterleffe wrote: Which files have you updated? Thanks in advance for correct lines in the needed files!!!
For the wifi adapter i use (details in my last post) it is really straightforward and while I use dhcp on both raspberries (at home i just reserved an ip in the router and in the caravan i make an outbound connection to setup the reverse ssh-tunnel so the ip doesn't matter) setting a static ip is just a another few lines in /etc/network/interfaces. My interfaces file:

Code: Select all

auto lo 
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid your_network_ssid
wpa-psk your_network_password

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.176
netmask 255.255.255.0
As you can tell its basically the same thing you had in your first post, i am not sure about the quotes you used around ssid and psk, try without them?

As i really don't want to loose connection in the caravan i am running a few scripts (via cron) to make sure it checks the connectivity and resets the network/ssh-tunnel when it fails. If anyone is interested i can post them but its just simple stuff and only really necessary if you don't have physical access to your raspberry.

/Lasse
KHolm

Post by KHolm »

misterleffe wrote: Which files have you updated? Thanks in advance for correct lines in the needed files!!!
For some reason, my device created two entires in the 70-persistent-net.rules and the wlan adapter ended up on wlan1.
To see if that has happened, enter the following:

$ iwconfig
Here are my files:

/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan1
allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

network={
ssid="KHolm"
psk="99999999"

# Protocol type can be: RSN (for WP2) and WPA (for WPA1)
proto=WPA

# Key management type can be: WPA-PSK or WPA-EAP (Pre-Shared or Enterprise)
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

# Pairwise can be CCMP or TKIP (for WPA2 or WPA1)
pairwise=TKIP CCMP

#Authorization option should be OPEN for both WPA1/WPA2 (in less commonly used are SHARED and LEAP)
auth_alg=OPEN
}
Just as lasses, I use dhcp and reserve the ip in the router.

/Marcus
misterleffe

Post by misterleffe »

This is what I get from iwconfig. I have the same lines in both files as you have Marcus. It seems that I don't have the correct settings ....

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan1 unassociated Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Sensitivity:0/0
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I'm not sure how to set the file wpa_supplicant.conf in order to have the correct settings. In my ASUS RT-N56U router I have these settings:

Verifieringsmetod: WPA2-Personal
WPA kryptering: AES
WPA-PSK nyckel: My password

Do I have to restart the Pi before settings will work?

/misterleffe
KHolm

Post by KHolm »

misterleffe wrote: Do I have to restart the Pi before settings will work?
If you just replace ssid and psk from my files with your own, I think you can use them as-is.
You need to restart the device, easiest way is to reboot.

(For AES, CCMP will be used)

/Marcus
misterleffe

Post by misterleffe »

Ok thanks! Now my Pi is wireless + Ethernet. Both with static IP. I will have a look for reserved IP in my router. I'm not sure if it's possible to do that in my ASUS RT-N56U.

/misterleffe
KHolm

Post by KHolm »

misterleffe wrote:Ok thanks! Now my Pi is wireless + Ethernet. Both with static IP. I will have a look for reserved IP in my router. I'm not sure if it's possible to do that in my ASUS RT-N56U.
Looks quite possible to me, would doubt if it wasn't.
http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/dum ... ntent.html
Marcus
misterleffe

Post by misterleffe »

KHolm wrote:
misterleffe wrote:Ok thanks! Now my Pi is wireless + Ethernet. Both with static IP. I will have a look for reserved IP in my router. I'm not sure if it's possible to do that in my ASUS RT-N56U.
Looks quite possible to me, would doubt if it wasn't.
http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/dum ... ntent.html
Marcus
Ok Marcus, sure I will have a look at this in my RT-N56U. Now I know that the wireless is working and then I can develop this further!
Thanks! :lol:

misterleffe