Frost protection/ temperature control with Tellstick Net

Moderator: Telldus

jorang

Frost protection/ temperature control with Tellstick Net

Post by jorang »

Hello all.

I am new to Telldus products and searching for possible setups to automatically/ remotely control gear at my cabin. I'm presently using a gsm/sms based control/ alarm system - giving my a lot of false alarms etc.
Yesterday I bought a Tellstick Net and now I'm searching for opportunities to phase out this gsm/sms based control system at my cabin.

The setup of on/off switches and reading of thermometers etc seems straight forward. However temperature control/ frost protection seems diffuse to me at the moment.

I want to build a system that switches heating on when temperature inside my cabin reaches a remotely set "lower temperature limit" (ie +3gr C). The system should prefferably keep heating on until ie +6C is reached - than switch heating off (back to standby and ready for a new frost protection 'cycle')

When I want to visit my cabin I would want to set a new "lower limit" a few days ahead to bring temperature up to comfort level inside the cabin.
After I have left the cabin I want to set the system back to frost protection mode again.

Probably I'm looking for a HW thermostat to communicate with my Tellstick Net that can be remotely set from Telldus Live or ie Remotestick on my Android phone.
Or maybe there are som webbased solutions/SW that could automatically take care of the frost protection for me.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
lexan76

Re: Frost protection/ temperature control with Tellstick Net

Post by lexan76 »

Hej
Maybe you can use Remote stick and Locale to trigger an action on a certain sensor value. This however means your Remote stick app has to be "on" all the time. Not sure how that works, but could work. have not tried it myself.
Wrote about it in another thread a minute ago.
///Fredrik
Orchide

Post by Orchide »

Hello!

I was trying to implement a solution that you suggested in my cabin as well. I couldn´t find a thermostat that could communicate with my tellstick.net to control the central heating in the cabin.

I solved it by simply buying some cheap Convector elements that I can switch on/off with my tellstick.net remotely. I have my central heating set to 8 C and when we are going up there I turn on the
elements a day ahead and we´ve got a nice warm cabin when we arrive.

As far as I´m aware, Telldus does not support triggers and you have to rely on third party applications if you want to turn on/off heating automatically.

I´ve been developing a Windows Phone 7 app for tellstick.net and was thinking about implementing triggers. But it means that the smartphone needs to be turned on all the time so the background
tasks can run to check the temperature to turn on/off elements. I don't think that is a viable solution.
To take care of the heating etc with triggers you would need a 100% uptime solution, otherwise lot´s of bad things can happen to your cabin.

/ jonas
jorang

Post by jorang »

I agree with you Jonas. By the end of the day I hope for a FW on the Net that makes it possible to set up your own server - or maybe use Teldus Center to take care of this.

I myselves will for frost protection rely on my Unistyr system which is local and rock solid on this. Problems is that the sms software/ part of the Unistyr sometimes hangs and would than need a power cycle/ reset to become reachable again. Friendly neighbours nearby have done this for me at occations but I'm now going to set up Tellstick Net to powercycle the unit. A bit challenging as both power and battery has to be switched of. The ordinary power is simple, but the battery part has to be taken care of by a potential free switch.

Also experimenting with RemoteStick an Tasker on my Android smartphone but this solution would be quite unreliable as the phone has to be running 100% of the time, and Telldus Live has proven to be quite unreliable as well over the past months.

Post by krambriw »

my Unistyr system which is local and rock solid
the sms software/ part of the Unistyr sometimes hangs and would than need a power cycle/ reset to become reachable
I do not understand your statements...this is not rock solid...it is a sand castle :?:
jorang

Post by jorang »

Sorry.

The Unistyr solution that iI presently have in my cabin are robust with regards to frost protection. Thought I had named it in my first post - which I had not.

Will stick to Unistyr now. Gonna use the Tellstick to powercycle the Unistyr main unit to reach it by sms when it hangs.