telldus-core on Slackware

Moderator: Telldus

k_ras

telldus-core on Slackware

Post by k_ras »

FYI: I've just installed telldus-core 2.1.0 from source on Slackware 13.37, and had to resolve a few issues to get it working.
  1. The udev rules (in /etc/udev/rules.d/05-tellstick.rules) did not work at all. Both rules start with ID_VENDOR_ID=="1781" which is not a valid udev rule syntax as far as I know (this could be an issue with the install script). Also the helper script ($PREFIX/share/telldus-core/helpers/udev.sh) expects several variables to be defined (ID_VENDOR_ID etc.), but on my Slackware system these are undefined.

My solution was to change /etc/udev/rules.d/50-tellstick.rules as follows:

Code: Select all

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1781", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}="$attr{idVendor}", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}="$attr{idProduct}", ENV{ID_SERIAL_SHORT}="$attr{serial}", MODE="664", GROUP="plugdev",  RUN+="/usr/share/telldus-core/helpers/udev.sh"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="remove", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1781", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}="$attr{idVendor}", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}="$attr{idProduct}", ENV{ID_SERIAL_SHORT}="$attr{serial}", RUN+="/usr/share/telldus-core/helpers/udev.sh"
    (In case phpBB makes a slight mess of things, the above must be entered as exactly two lines, both starting with "SUBSYSTEM".)

Note that I changed the install prefix to "/usr", as is the custom with Slackware. If you compiled with the default prefix (/usr/local), change the script paths accordingly.
  2. The default user and group in /etc/tellstick.conf (nobody/plugdev) didn't work due to permissions issues. telldusd loaded without errors, but tdtool reported "TellStick not found". I'm not sure why, as plugdev certainly exists on Slackware. It works with root/root, which is obviously not an optimal solution. I'll get back with more information once I've figured out what the problem might be.
  3. /usr/sbin/telldusd has to be manually added to one of the startup scripts. I used /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
stefan.persson

Re: telldus-core on Slackware

Post by stefan.persson »

Hi!
We are just in the process of releasing version 2.1.1 of the software. There we've updated the udev-rule, but we were not aware of that the variables were undefined in some systems. I've reopened the ticket, and we'll fix this too, http://developer.telldus.com/ticket/115

Please let us know if you find out why the permission issue occurs.

Telldusd has to be added manually to a startup script, for now at least.
Stefan Persson
Software
Telldus Technologies