Remotestick 3

Moderator: Telldus

gein

Remotestick 3

Post by gein »

Hi all,

As you all know there haven't been a ton of updates to Remotestick lately. Motivation has been a bit low and I've focused on other things. However, I have some news I'd like to share.

Last couple of weeks I've been working on a complete re-write of Remotestick. From ground up. This is actually something I've thought about for a long time but haven't started. With the new Telldus ZNet coming our way and my interest in trying to develop a better app, motivation has raised a lot. To the point where I actually started working on the next Remotestick.

Something you should know is that this re-write will be published as a new paid app on Google Play. Not as an upgrade to current version. You may of course ask why and there's two answers to that. Re-writing the entire app with higher ambitions takes time and time is money. The other answer is that I want to start from scratch without the burden of carrying the old legacy code around. And it's very hard (not to say impossible) to upgrade Remotestick and remove some features while adding others. One such thing might be the Locale integration for instance. Tasker is far more used than Locale.

Having said that, I plan to keep supporting the current version and make sure it works as-is with the new Telldus ZNet product. While it won't get any new features I will still make sure it works as expected.

So, what are the plans for Remotestick 3? Well, part of that is actually why I write this thread. I want you to let me know what works well and what doesn't, in the current version. What are the features you can't live without and what would you like see added? Something I want to explore is of course the (not so) new Material Design and to have it more user friendly and overall nice to look at. Another thing I'm struggling with is to come up with new, alternative ways of presenting sensors and controls. Plain lists feels natural but they are boring as hell. Still, trying to be creative and come up with something else that works is extremely difficult. How would you like to see your controls and sensors presented in the app when you open it?
Kicken

Re: Remotestick 3

Post by Kicken »

Great news!
In my opinion Remotestick has the best features of the apps, BUT for daily use I use the Tellive remotestick due to its speed.
So, for me speed and ease is the keys! Besides of course, the Tasker connectivity!

//Kicken
Zeta_R

Post by Zeta_R »

Kicken wrote: ....So, for me speed and ease is the keys! Besides of course, the Tasker connectivity!

//Kicken
I agree. I rarely control anything directly from Remotestick, almost everything goes through Tasker. In my opinion this
provide at least half of the value for me (with my Tellstick Net).

Besides the "lag" that I experience (not all the time, but sometimes), I would want a way to arrange my devices in groups inside
the app (like folders or something). Could be a seperated tab that you could swipe too. As it is now I often has to scroll some time to find
the right device. With all my "dummy devices", sensors and so on - the list grows long! :)

With new function and improvements I would gladly pay for a new app, even though I have no plans to upgrade my Tellstick net.
However, I think the interface on Remotestick works very well. There will always be room for improvement, but I see no reason to ditch
the old and make everything new.
delsuppr

Post by delsuppr »

Yes u have reason. I understand that this not an upgrade, but one thing to do. When wa take the remotestick3 and pay it don't forget to have the possibility for taking the parameters of remotestick (example the picture) and have the same in the remostick 3. Same thing with the plane
tjabas

Post by tjabas »

when can we expect remotestick 3 on google play?
gein

Post by gein »

I won't give any promises I can't live up to I'm afraid. It's out when it's done.
tjabas

Post by tjabas »

gein wrote:I won't give any promises I can't live up to I'm afraid. It's out when it's done.
ok, im really looking forward to this, is it going to have widgets like remotestick have?
gein

Post by gein »

tjabas wrote:
gein wrote:I won't give any promises I can't live up to I'm afraid. It's out when it's done.
ok, im really looking forward to this, is it going to have widgets like remotestick have?
Yes, that is definitely the plan!
Info

Post by Info »

I have only on request.
That I have missed in Remotestick.

Some way to hide all the "dummy devices", and group the sensors, controls.

Leaving only the real devices that can be controlled visible in one place.

Giving some thing like tabs, folders...
Making it possible to have all the controllable units in on place.
Dummy control's i one.
Dummy trigger's i another.
Sensors i another.
And so on.
Last edited by Info on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjabas

Post by tjabas »

How´s the progress with remotestick?

im checking this post every day, im really looking forward to it :)
gein

Post by gein »

tjabas wrote:How´s the progress with remotestick?

You'll still have to wait I'm afraid. I'm working as much as I can but I'm still only doing ground work, no real UI stuff yet. Eventually, there might be a beta program to test out parts of the app. I will let you all know if and when.
Konstigt

Post by Konstigt »

Just started using RemoteStick and found one thing that it's missing, disable scheduled event or even disable all events associated with a controlled device.

Telldus Live web does not allow you to disable all at once, only one at a time.
MikeSpike

Post by MikeSpike »

When working with the scheduler I miss not being able to set the number of repeats (reps-parameter).

http://api.telldus.com/explore/scheduler/setJob
Info

Post by Info »

Can it be possible to see the log that for now is an Beta in Telldus Live.
Making it possible to do some trouble shooting already in the App.
No need to log on to Telldus Live to see what have or haven't happened to an unit.
tjabas

Post by tjabas »

tjabas wrote:How´s the progress with remotestick?

hello! Gein :wave:

are you doing any programming :D