Remotestick (Android)

Moderator: Telldus

Zaman

Re: Remotestick (Android)

Post by Zaman »

Note that you will never be able to push information about the actual state of a device since they don't, and can't, report any information back to your Tellstick.
The only think you can get pushed to you is updates when someone is TRYING to update a device with a remote or something similar - it doesn't mean that it actually works.
gein

Post by gein »

Zaman wrote:Note that you will never be able to push information about the actual state of a device since they don't, and can't, report any information back to your Tellstick.
The only think you can get pushed to you is updates when someone is TRYING to update a device with a remote or something similar - it doesn't mean that it actually works.
I think we are all aware of that limitation in Tellstick. But yes, couldn't hurt to point that out again.
spid303

Post by spid303 »

Hej, ville bara dela med mig av hur jag använder remotestick för att styra belysning och fläkt mm via min Pebble smart watch.

Jag gjorde några "toggle" script i Tasker som kollar om lampa av (if) = slå på och om på (if else) = slå av.
det kan bli fördröjning beroende på poll tiden i remotestick så push funktionen låter intressant!
Sen väljer man bara i PebbleTasker dessa som favorit script och så är det klart :-D

Gjorde även så jag kan få temp/fukt till klockan med tasker och "Pebble Notifier"

Så high-tech man känner sig nu ;-)

Tack för en fin app!
gein

Post by gein »

spid303 wrote:Hej, ville bara dela med mig av hur jag använder remotestick för att styra belysning och fläkt mm via min Pebble smart watch.

Jag gjorde några "toggle" script i Tasker som kollar om lampa av (if) = slå på och om på (if else) = slå av.
det kan bli fördröjning beroende på poll tiden i remotestick så push funktionen låter intressant!
Sen väljer man bara i PebbleTasker dessa som favorit script och så är det klart :-D

Gjorde även så jag kan få temp/fukt till klockan med tasker och "Pebble Notifier"

Så high-tech man känner sig nu ;-)

Tack för en fin app!
Alltid lika roligt att höra "success stories"! Tack för att du delade med dig.
gein

Post by gein »

I'm a bit puzzled with the whole push support thing in Android. On a technical level there is no problem. As a matter of fact, most of the communication chain is already setup and works. But the problem is that I need a server running 24/7 to back this support and there is of course a cost associated with this. I know that some of you happily pay for this kind of service, just not sure if there's enough interest to pay for this. One thing is for sure, I will not be able to pay Amazon for a server from my own pocket. Also, with this support, I will run into availability concerns as well. People will expect this service to be available 24/7 with no downtime and no issues. And I'm a bit hesitant to introduce this kind of commitment and promise.

Any takes and thoughts on this are welcome.
Kicken

Post by Kicken »

gein wrote:I'm a bit puzzled with the whole push support thing in Android. On a technical level there is no problem. As a matter of fact, most of the communication chain is already setup and works. But the problem is that I need a server running 24/7 to back this support and there is of course a cost associated with this. I know that some of you happily pay for this kind of service, just not sure if there's enough interest to pay for this. One thing is for sure, I will not be able to pay Amazon for a server from my own pocket. Also, with this support, I will run into availability concerns as well. People will expect this service to be available 24/7 with no downtime and no issues. And I'm a bit hesitant to introduce this kind of commitment and promise.

I have been looking forward to this functionality for a long time. I do understand your concerns but I have full confidence that you can manage the commitment! Of course, you need to minimise the financial risk by pricing the service. A partner could maybe be useful?
I hope you make a well founded decision!
M203

Post by M203 »

gein wrote:I'm a bit puzzled with the whole push support thing in Android. On a technical level there is no problem. As a matter of fact, most of the communication chain is already setup and works. But the problem is that I need a server running 24/7 to back this support and there is of course a cost associated with this. I know that some of you happily pay for this kind of service, just not sure if there's enough interest to pay for this. One thing is for sure, I will not be able to pay Amazon for a server from my own pocket. Also, with this support, I will run into availability concerns as well. People will expect this service to be available 24/7 with no downtime and no issues. And I'm a bit hesitant to introduce this kind of commitment and promise.

I am also one of those that is really looking forward to push. It will leverage Tellstick immensely, giving the ability to use different contexts (motion etc) with Tasker.

I am using all of Joao Dias plugins for Tasker, one in peticular namely Autoremote. This plugin can be used for sending messages betwen devices, computer etc. It even has offline mode (local network) in latest beta. It is using Google cloud messaging, and he should have the same issue as you. Currently he has also another app in beta called Autovera which makes it possible to get push and control miscaverde home automation. Shouldnt it be possble to do something similar for Tellstick, the same issues you raise should apply for that app. Joao might have some tips and solutions, he must have a server as well is my understanding.

He is really responsive so maybe you could contact him?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/101282964483894346750/posts

Community for betas
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 9813640793

BR
P
gein

Post by gein »

Ok, so I have an initial alpha version to test. In order to opt-in for this alpha you need to join this Google+ community and follow the link from my first post: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 0402629300
Also, this support is only meaningful to those who use Tasker, since the values are exported to Tasker. Nothing else really.

You need to request access since I can't handle a whole lot of push user this first round.

Also, there's another public and open-for-all community for Remotestick that you might want to join: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 4326940058

edit/ I will not add any more alpha testers right now since I don't know how this will affect the load on the server.
gein

Post by gein »

I'm getting more and more hesitant to implement this push feature. For me, Remotestick gets a lot more complicated mostly since it requires a backend server, which obviously costs money. And all this only to support something that I believe should be part of Telldus Live already, especially with their new Events feature they just rolled out. I feel that my time is better spent somewhere else rather than implementing something that Telldus could deprecate in a second, with just the release of Push-to-device feature to their Events, which seems to be the most natural next iteration of their Events support. They already have their infrastructure setup. All they have to do is add some support to their API to register a device and then add the push mechanism for at least Apple and Google devices in their backend.
DrAze

Post by DrAze »

Hej.

Jag har ett förslag på ny funktionalitet (om det inte redan finns och jag inte hittar det) i Remotestick.

Jag skulle tycka det vore väldigt bra om man skulle kunna dölja vissa Enheter eller Grupper i Remotestick. Eller sortera upp dem så man har olika sidor för olika enheter.

Mvh
Andreas
petzno

Post by petzno »

DrAze wrote:Hej.

Jag har ett förslag på ny funktionalitet (om det inte redan finns och jag inte hittar det) i Remotestick.

Jag skulle tycka det vore väldigt bra om man skulle kunna dölja vissa Enheter eller Grupper i Remotestick. Eller sortera upp dem så man har olika sidor för olika enheter.

Mvh
Andreas
Veldig bra forslag, støttes! Litt av problemet i dag er at man kan lett være uheldig å f.eks. slå på en ovn uten å merke det. Så blir det kanskje varmt på hytta eller noe sånt...
gothr2

Post by gothr2 »

När kommer Telldus Live Pro-funktioner synas i remotestick?
HSPalm

Post by HSPalm »

Really loving this application! So much better than all alternatives.

One or two wishes for the future:
1. Stretch out the floor plan picture to full screen mode (showing no menus from either android os or Remotestick...
2. ...then make it possible to never turn the screen off, maybe only dim it.
This would be great since I have a dedicated tellstick tablet on my wall always connected to power.

One issue I found is
1. When logging in to Telldus Live on a mobile phone I don't have the opportunity to log in via google, only standard telldus account. This comes from the website showing the "mobile friendly" website version. Worked fine on my tablet.

edit: I found a work-around for the mobile login via google-issue. To convert your google-login-account to standard Telldus live and keep all settings:
1. Log out from your account on http://live.telldus.com.
2. Try to log in via standard Telldus Live login, using your Google-registered mail (probably your gmail address) using random password.
3. You will get the option to have a new password sent by email, confirm you want this.
4. Done. Log in using your new password and google mail via normal Telldus Live, and maybe change the password once logged in.
gein

Post by gein »

gothr2 wrote:När kommer Telldus Live Pro-funktioner synas i remotestick?
Tyvärr lär det dröja då jag för tillfället har väldigt lite tid över att lägga på Remotestick, av privata skäl. Hoppas det blir bättring framöver dock!
gein

Post by gein »

HSPalm wrote:Really loving this application! So much better than all alternatives.

One or two wishes for the future:
1. Stretch out the floor plan picture to full screen mode (showing no menus from either android os or Remotestick...
2. ...then make it possible to never turn the screen off, maybe only dim it.
This would be great since I have a dedicated tellstick tablet on my wall always connected to power.

One issue I found is
1. When logging in to Telldus Live on a mobile phone I don't have the opportunity to log in via google, only standard telldus account. This comes from the website showing the "mobile friendly" website version. Worked fine on my tablet.

edit: I found a work-around for the mobile login via google-issue. To convert your google-login-account to standard Telldus live and keep all settings:
1. Log out from your account on http://live.telldus.com.
2. Try to log in via standard Telldus Live login, using your Google-registered mail (probably your gmail address) using random password.
3. You will get the option to have a new password sent by email, confirm you want this.
4. Done. Log in using your new password and google mail via normal Telldus Live, and maybe change the password once logged in.
The whole floor plan feature will be going through a total makeover when I get the time. It's broken in many ways unfortunately.

When it comes to signing in. Even if you sign up with your google account you do get a mail from Telldus with a generated password. This is the password you are supposed to use.