Update to latest duo firmware fails

Moderator: Telldus

Flippy

Update to latest duo firmware fails

Post by Flippy »

Hi, i just bought a tellstick duo today and just downloaded the beta version of the tellduscenter. Tryed to run the firmware update file and it said that i had ver 5 and that the newest was 10. I then stoped the service and tryed to update. It just hangs at entering bootloader. What am i doing wrong? Dont think i have the early developer version of the duo as its brand new today.
svartöra

Re: Update to latest duo firmware fails

Post by svartöra »

You are not alone, the update fails here too in exactly the same way.
davka003

Post by davka003 »

There are done very bad mixup of tellstick net update that runs and fails with duo. (if I recall correctly) that should have been fixed by now but Telldus release cycle seems to be looooooong.

Search forum and you might find some help if the problem is what I recall.
My home automation software: Automagically @ Raspberry Pi http://automagically.weebly.com
svartöra

Post by svartöra »

Thanks, but I don't think that's the problem in my case. I have just submitted a support ticket, so let's wait and see.
svanstrom.com

Post by svanstrom.com »

svartöra wrote:Thanks, but I don't think that's the problem in my case. I have just submitted a support ticket, so let's wait and see.
How's it going with this, gotten a reply/solution yet?
# raspberry pi, tellstick classic and (finally!) tellstick duo.
# Varning för ett gott humör och dålig humor… =D
svartöra

Post by svartöra »

Thanks for the reminder - I now found the reply in the spam filter...

They say batch 13062 has a programming error that causes the upgrade to fail. It can be fixed with a special program from Telldus so I suggest you submit a support ticket.
svanstrom.com

Post by svanstrom.com »

svartöra wrote:Thanks for the reminder - I now found the reply in the spam filter...

They say batch 13062 has a programming error that causes the upgrade to fail. It can be fixed with a special program from Telldus so I suggest you submit a support ticket.
I really want to like Telldus, but they're making it damn hard to not seriously dislike them instead.
plastbox

Post by plastbox »

svartöra wrote:Thanks for the reminder - I now found the reply in the spam filter...

Thanks for confirming this. Just got my Tellstick Duo today after waiting for more than 6 months. Was plesantly surprised when the sms from komplett.no arrived telling me my order was ready for pick-up, considering I had long since forgotten about ordering the Duo. Please post any info you have/get with regards to fixing this. For me, it's just a matter of wanting to keep my gadgets updated so I get whatever functionality I can. Everything important seems to work (except an unknown "fineoffset" temperature sensor that shows up giving -204.7 degrees).
svanstrom.com wrote:I really want to like Telldus, but they're making it damn hard to not seriously dislike them instead.
Me too, but there is just so very much that seems completely out of wack. First the problems with getting the Duo produced. Now, I can't comment too much on this since I don't have any first-hand experience with that sort of thing, but it just plain sucked to wait this long. Specially since even after all this time, I end up with a sub-par, semi-defective product.

Then, there is their completely incomprehensible software release cycle. I can't really say I see that much difference between v2.1.2Beta1 and whatever version I used with the original Tellstick 2-3 years ago.

Also, firmware version 5 is stable (software version 2.1.1), and firmware version 10 is beta (version 2.1.2). Five full versions of the firmware, within one sub-sub-version of the main software package? What on earth..

These things, in addition to my general annoyances at how slow the software development seems (despite how relatively simple the software -if not the firmware- is) leaves me struggeling to respect and like Telldus.

For example, why is the TelldusCenter-software so utterly, decrepidly basic? Why doesn't the "File->Configure" dialogue have a "Networking"-category where one can set up at the very least a UDP-broadcast of device and sensor events? That way, other devices and services -even ethernet enabled microcontrollers- on the network could pick up events as they happened in the simplest possible way. This quite frankly seems like one of the very first things one would have implemented on a project like this (in the spirit of sharing and encouraging other developers to play with your cool gear and all that). All at the cost of roughly 5 lines of code. Yes. Dead serious. Broadcasting a UDP-package takes basically no work at all.

If you felt like writing a wee bit more than 5 lines of code, you could implement a TCP-server in the core Telldus service. That way, we developers could write software that talked seamlessly with the Telldus devices in just about any programming environment known to man newer than QBASIC. It's routable, it's platform-agnostic, it's two-way.. the only reason I see to not implement that is the slightly-above-novice difficulty of writing a stable threaded socket server, but that really shouldn't stop developers who actually sell a product people use, should it..? Estimated time to implement (for a reasonably skilled developer who knows your source code): 2 days. Again, dead serious. 2 days of work, tops, and you'd have lifted your application a great many notches.

Now, if you really felt like joining us in the current decade, you'd implement the WebSockets handshake and frame-masking on top of the aforementioned TCP interface. It's not hard, feel free to check out an old pet project of mine over at github: php-websocket-server The code quality isn't the best there is, but it shows how little code is needed for a fully functional WebSockets-server.

Imagine that, eh guys..? You download and install TelldusCenter, enable the TCP and WebSockets interfaces, and voilà! You can write rich Tellstick frontends in JavaScript only, in addition to just about every other language you could possibly want to use.
svanstrom.com

Post by svanstrom.com »

plastbox wrote:
svanstrom.com wrote:I really want to like Telldus, but they're making it damn hard to not seriously dislike them instead.
Me too, but there is just so very much that seems completely out of wack.
Exactly! They've got a user base that would love to do business with them, they've got their products in all the relevant major chains in Sweden, and yet… basically NOTHING.

A simple software update of the Net and they could have killed off the Duo, or at least given us hardcore (relatively speaking!) users a solution while we waited for the Duo to arrive; but instead we waited for a new batch of Duos that seem to have arrived without any quality checking, and that requires us to submit a support ticket to get the tools needed to fix it.

I'm tempted to set up at kickstarter-project with a competing product; but… I seriously don't want to do that, I just want a working product, and would love to support a Swedish company; but… aaargh… Seriously, Telldus-people, if you are keeping track of what's being written here, contact me; send me an email and let me help you get your sh*t together. I'll even travel to Lund at my own expense for a first meeting.
svartöra

Post by svartöra »

This is what I got from Telldus - I take the liberty to post it here:

1) Du behöver verktyget MProg: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/MProg3.5.zip
2) Se till att TelldusService är avstängt och kör sedan MProg
3) Tryck "Tools->Read and parse"
4) Under "I/O Controls" sätt C0, C1, C2 och C3 till "I/O Mode"
5) Tryck Save och sedan Device->Program
6) Koppla ur TellStick Duo och avsluta MProg
Nu ska din TellStick du vara uppgraderingsbar igen.

I did exactly as above (with the one difference of using "Save as..." instead of Save, but I don't think it is needed anyway) and then the upgrade worked nicely.
plastbox

Post by plastbox »

svartöra wrote:This is what I got from Telldus - I take the liberty to post it here:

1) Du behöver verktyget MProg: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/MProg3.5.zip
2) Se till att TelldusService är avstängt och kör sedan MProg
3) Tryck "Tools->Read and parse"
4) Under "I/O Controls" sätt C0, C1, C2 och C3 till "I/O Mode"
5) Tryck Save och sedan Device->Program
6) Koppla ur TellStick Duo och avsluta MProg
Nu ska din TellStick du vara uppgraderingsbar igen.

I did exactly as above (with the one difference of using "Save as..." instead of Save, but I don't think it is needed anyway) and then the upgrade worked nicely.
Thanks a lot! Upgrading to firmware version 10 as we speak. Hopefully, I'll get some real data from the mystery "fineoffset" sensor.
svanstrom.com wrote:
plastbox wrote:
Me too, but there is just so very much that seems completely out of wack.
Exactly! They've got a user base that would love to do business with them, they've got their products in all the relevant major chains in Sweden, and yet… basically NOTHING.

A simple software update of the Net and they could have killed off the Duo, or at least given us hardcore (relatively speaking!) users a solution while we waited for the Duo to arrive; but instead we waited for a new batch of Duos that seem to have arrived without any quality checking, and that requires us to submit a support ticket to get the tools needed to fix it.

I'm tempted to set up at kickstarter-project with a competing product; but… I seriously don't want to do that, I just want a working product, and would love to support a Swedish company; but… aaargh… Seriously, Telldus-people, if you are keeping track of what's being written here, contact me; send me an email and let me help you get your sh*t together. I'll even travel to Lund at my own expense for a first meeting.
Agreed. If the level of excitement I felt when I discovered the Telldus products, then again when I read about Tellstick Duo is any indication for how other geeks feel about this stuff, Telldus is missing out on a huge amount of user-driven innovation.

"The right tool for the job" and all that. If Telldus implemented the aforementioned TCP+WebSockets interface into telldus-core, I could replicate the functionality of TelldusCenter as a local webapp in 2-3 days. In case you are unsure what the advantages of that are, allow me to explain briefly:

Telldus aims to support Linux, Windows and Mac OSX. This is all well and good, except that developing the same exact software for several different platforms incurs a huge amount of extra work. This means that a changes to non-core stuff like the incredibly basic TelldusCenter takes a whole hell of a lot more time than otherwise needed.

The alternative? Make the telldus-core interface I mentioned, and make TelldusCenter as an offline webapp using WebSockets and ApplicationCache. This would not only mean the developers would have one piece of simple and completely platform agnostic software to maintain and improve upon, but the software would also run on every platform in the world with a browser, including Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, Android tablets and phones, iPhone, iPad, iPod.

In addition, the interface would allow more or less anyone who has ever programmed anything to sit down with tools no more complex than notepad and communicate with their devices and sensors. Honestly Telldus-guys.. How on Earth can you not have made this already?! *facepalm*
erling.paulsen

Post by erling.paulsen »

OMG! Yes, thank you, the MProg worked and my Duo is now finally updated.

- Erling
fegu

Post by fegu »

MProg worked and Duo is up to date. Just wanted to post this to show others that it works and that it is still necessary. I bought a new Tellstick Duo last week and it is batch #13062 (says so on the sticker on the back). Also note that setting the C1-C3 to I/O (from LED) seems scary, the normal operation of the LEDs resume after upgrade.
xtream

Post by xtream »

I bought a Duo yesterday, batch #13131 and I also had to use the MProg tool before I could update it from firmware version 5. My Tellstick Duo also got a new serial number after using the MProg tool. After the firmware upgrade it now shows version 12. Now it's updated and still works.
Mellumen

Post by Mellumen »

I got error message from MProg that said "FT_Open - Invalid Handle". I tried several computers without luck. I had to uninstall the TelldusCenter, and then run the MProg. And now it works :D