Tellstick not found -- problem solved

Moderator: Telldus

lixgbg

Tellstick not found -- problem solved

Post by lixgbg »

Hello!

After several days of troubleshooting the "Tellstick not found" problem with my Tellstick Duo (batch 2, firmware v4) on Ubuntu 14.04 (x86 machine) and Raspberry Pi (tried several different Wheezy versions) I finally managed to solve it yesterday! And as with most problems, once you have the solution it's really easy. To save some gray hairs for everyone else struggling with this problem I post my solution here.

Here's what I did (Raspberry Pi B, Wheezy 2014-01-07):
1) Upgraded the firmware to latest version 12 (don't know if this was really necessary but did it anyway). Instructions are here http://developer.telldus.se/wiki/Firmware

2) Installed the latest Telldus Core software, v2.1.2. Instructions are here http://developer.telldus.com/wiki/TellS ... tionUbuntu
Skip the first half of the page and follow the "Console based installation" instructions further down the page.
I did not need to mess with udev rules, nor did I need the fdti_sio module (this requirement was removed in version 2.1.0 I believe). So many other installation instructions on the web are incorrect and out of date!

3) Make sure your /etc/tellstick.conf contains the following lines (this is key to getting it working - so don't just copy your old tellstick.conf without adding the deviceNode and controller sections):

Code: Select all

user = "nobody"
group = "plugdev"
deviceNode = "/dev/tellstick"
ignoreControllerConfirmation = "false"
controller {
  id = 1
  # name = ""
  type = 2
  serial = "AE01DIR6"
}
After that you can add your devices (I use Nexa):

Code: Select all

device {
  id = 1
  name = "Vardagsrum taklampa TV"
  protocol = "arctech"
  model = "codeswitch"
  parameters {
    house = "H"
    unit = "1"
  }
}
You do not need to add "controller = 0" to each of the device (which the default /etc/tellstick.conf does) and you do not need to (at least I didn't need to) add ":nexa" to the model value.

After restarting the machine (and making sure the /etc/init.d/telldusd was started successfully) I could finally control the lights using tdtool --on 1

Good luck!

Henrik Sjöstrand
drd

Re: Tellstick not found -- problem solved

Post by drd »

Hi Henrik,

I did basically the same, except for the firmware update (RPi B+, up to date Raspbian, Telldus Core v2.1.2).

May I ask you to check the telldusd CPU usage on your system?
  • On my system I find that telldusd is using all available CPU time: top shows telldusd alone is running at about 99% CPU, total load is 100% (also after several reboots, by the way).
  • I do not see this behaviour on another Raspberry Pi I installed about a year ago (RPi B+, Raspbian from back at the time, Telldus Core v2.1.1), with the same Tellstick Duo attached. There the system basically idles at 1% CPU in total.
Thanks!

David
drd

Post by drd »

Never mind, problem seems to have disappeared...

I don't know what caused it. There were no two telldusd instances running, I did try several reboots at the time... to no avail. But today after a reboot and another try, it worked fine.
_M_

Post by _M_ »

Thank you Henrik for the solution.

I have a comment that can be useful for other Linux noobs like me. The attribute serial in your tellstick.conf is dependent on which tellstick you have, in my case it was completely different.

I found my serial number running dmesg and now everything works like a charm :D

Best Regards
//Micke
spegru

Post by spegru »

I am also having this problem with the tellstick not being detected and not visible using lsusb

Im on a rasberrypi running raspbian
Ive installed the repository and drivers but no luck so far

thanks for any assistance
spegru

Post by spegru »

It appears that the USB port on my tellstick model TSNET may be Power Only which would explain alot.
I'd much prefer to configure it without having to use the Teldus cloud system. Has anyone tried addressing directly via Ethernet?