Tellsticker, a plug-in for Plex

Moderator: Telldus

eirikh

Tellsticker, a plug-in for Plex

Post by eirikh »

Hi there,

I have just started work on a Tellstick plug-in for Plex to control your devices from within Plex.

Currently it supports listing your devices (gets data from tdtool) and switching them on/off by pressing enter in the list view:

You can of course add the application to your Favorites

And there is a setting to tell the app where tdtool is located

Hopefully I'll have something people can download and try themselves this weekend! If you have feature suggestions, let me know!
eirikh

Post by eirikh »

I now have a basic version that people using Plex can test. You will need to have the tdtool command line (included with TelldusCenter).

Download version 0.2
Last edited by eirikh on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skorpion

Post by skorpion »

How do you install/use this?
eirikh

Post by eirikh »

skorpion wrote:How do you install/use this?
You of course need Plex, then just open or download and double click the plug-in. It will install it in Plex after which you can find it under "Applications".

You will also need to have set up some devices in TelldusCenter/tdtool and if tdtool isn't in /usr/bin/ you will have to change it in the plug-in's preferences (open Terminal and write "which tdtool" to get the path to tdtool). I've made a note to just try to run tdtool without path in the next version in case it is in so called PATH.

Edit: Oh, and because of a bug with TelldusCenter, you will need to do as jram explains in this thread.
Last edited by eirikh on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eirikh

Post by eirikh »

I've made a simple demo video:

http://vimeo.com/8906530
jram

Post by jram »

Tried it and it works!
Only one small bug. I have devices with å ä ö in their names and they don't work and their names don't show up correctly. Probably only some string encoding trouble.

Thanks for your effort! Like the idéa!
snav

Post by snav »

Good work.

My goal is to turn on/off lighting when a movie is playing/stopping.
Posted a request at the plex-forum to execute scipts at specifik events.

Then you could run your script/plugin at events like "movie_start" or movie_stop", if you understand what i mean.
I guess this also possible by tailing the logg-files for some specifik context.

However.. Good work, keep it up!
eirikh

Post by eirikh »

snav wrote:My goal is to turn on/off lighting when a movie is playing/stopping.
Posted a request at the plex-forum to execute scipts at specifik events.
One of the Plex devs said this would come in the near future over at the Tellsticker thread in the Plex forums.
eirikh

Post by eirikh »

jram wrote:Only one small bug. I have devices with å ä ö in their names and they don't work and their names don't show up correctly. Probably only some string encoding trouble.
This will (automatically) be fixed in the next version as I've rewrote the plug-in to use the TellstickCore library instead of tdtool. See update in a few minutes.
eirikh

TellSticker 0.2

Post by eirikh »

I've rewrote the whole plug-in utilizing the TelldusCore C library imported via ctypes so we can avoid using os and subprocess.

Version 0.2 should also handle bell devices. The project isn't really worthy of a Release Candidate because of its simplicity, but I haven't tested the newest version on many setups so I'll call this a RC :)

Install TellSticker 0.2 (Plexapp)
Download TellSticker 0.2 (Zip)
eirikh

Post by eirikh »

While I was at it, I added support to dim devices that supports it. If a device can be dimmed, you will get a popup menu to set the dim level:

Install TellSticker 0.3
Download TellSticker 0.3
snav

Post by snav »

Does this version require tdtool to work?
snav

Post by snav »

It's seems to working without the tdtool.
I can see all devices in the window, turn the on/off.
Sometimes i get a strange screen with an "empty" icon after an on/off, but i can get back to the meny by pressing esc.
eirikh

Post by eirikh »

snav wrote:Sometimes i get a strange screen with an "empty" icon after an on/off, but i can get back to the meny by pressing esc.
I'll look into it. Let me know if you figure out a way to reproduce this consistently.

And yes, from version 0.2 you don't need tdtool. But you need to have TelldusCenter installed (or, more specifically, what's needed is the TelldusCore library and driver that comes with it).
eirikh

Post by eirikh »

The source can now be found in this github repo.

The latest version can always be downloaded from the TellSticker wiki page.