Quick question regarding hardware.

Moderator: Telldus

mrtienpham

Quick question regarding hardware.

Post by mrtienpham »

Hello,

I have the old Tellstick - first generation, old. I want to upgrade and am not sure which model to get. I have my lights connected via Nexa controllers. What should I get? I don't know much about Z-wave or the benefits of it. I just want to make sure my existing set up can be replicated and not be dependent on an always on computer.

I know things have advanced, but I haven't sought to change my Tellstick because it still works. I don't mind being open to adding new sensors, but am mostly wanting to run my Tellstick without having to plug it into a computer.

Any good "quick comparison" guide in English?

Thanks,

Tien
etompau

Re: Quick question regarding hardware.

Post by etompau »

You want to have a system independent from a computer, then you have the following options:

1. Tellstick Net ver. 1
New hardware that can execute schedules and event even if the internet connection is lost.
433 MHz only. No receiving on 433 MHz!

2. Tellstick Net ver. 2
Same as above but also receiving on 433 MHz (sensor data etc)

3. Tellstick ZNet ver. 1
New hardware that can execute schedules and event even if the internet connection is lost.
Z-wave + 433 MHz transmission.

4. Tellstick ZNet ver. 2
Z-wave + 433 MHz transmission and receiving.

Z-wave is modern radio protocol used by a range of manufactures of electrical equipment. It has a two-way protocol between ZNet and receiver and can also distribute control signals through a mesh network of receivers.
Hardware a lot more expensive than 433 MHz equipment.

If you don't intend to use Z-wave, I would recommend you to go for the new Tellstick Net version 2.
micke.prag
Site Admin

Post by micke.prag »

Corrections
Option 1:
1. Tellstick Net ver. 1
Old generation that cannot execute schedules and event if the internet connection is lost.
433 MHz transmission and receiving.

2. Tellstick Net ver. 2
433 MHz transmission and receiving.
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies
etompau

Post by etompau »

Thanks for the correction. :oops:
mrtienpham

Post by mrtienpham »

Thank you for the breakdown!

You are right that I likely won't be getting any Z-wave devices. To me, they seem to be way more robust than I need for my relatively tiny apartment. I don't have sensors and I also don't schedule. It's mostly to control my lights using my phone/Alexa.

I'd like to get the Tellstick Net V1 because it has the basic functionality that I need, but I can't seem to find it for cheaper than the Telldus ZNet Lite V1 (which costs 499 kr on Telldus). The Tellstick Net V2 is 999 kr at Kjell.

Does anyone know where I can get the Tellstick Net V1 for cheaper than 499 kr? I don't think Telldus is even selling them anymore. Maybe I should just stick with the ZNet Lite V1.

Tien
mrtienpham

Post by mrtienpham »

Wait a second... what does this paragraph mean?

From http://telldus.com/produkt/z-wave-gatew ... znet-lite/
Till dig som redan har en TellStick Net så har vi ett tips. Genom att komplettera din befintliga TellStick Net (som både skickar och tar emot signaler på 433MHz) med en TellStick ZNet Lite v1 (som både skickar och tar emot signaler på Z-Wave OCH skickar signaler på 433MHz) så får du ett ”Telldus Live!”-system på både 433MHz och Z-Wave. Du måste alltså ha både din gamla TellStick Net och den nya ZNet Lite v1 inkopplade samtidigt.
Does this not act as a 433MHz sender? I don't get why you need to keep them both together (per Google Translate).

Also, I found this: https://www.inet.se/produkt/8309179/tel ... -znet-lite for 399 kr. Is there a problem with this model? Even the older models, which I did find on Prisjakt, cost way more still. Is there a reason?

Tien
etompau

Post by etompau »

At least in Sweden you can find the Tellstick Ver. 1(blue box) on different second hand/selling sites.

The paragraph you translated with Google describes how you can combine an (existing) Tellstick Ver. 1 with the new ZNet ver. 1 and then get sensor information into the system.

Your link is pointing to the ZNet ver. 1, the model that doesn't have receiving possibilities on the 433 MHz band. If you don't plan to have wireless thermometers it's a good bargain. The unit has Z-wave function and transmits on the 433 MHz band.