How can we controll the water based floor heating?

Moderator: Telldus

MagnusS

How can we controll the water based floor heating?

Post by MagnusS »

Hi All

I`m planning to controll my waterbased floor heating with Telldus and a a range of other eqipment.
How can we do it, and what components are needed to what cost?

In Norway where i live this kinda equipment is are expensive
I have made a sheet to explain the basic of what we need
Attachments
Varme.jpg
Varme.jpg (89.52 KiB) Viewed 10744 times
krambriw

Re: How can we controll the water based floor heating?

Post by krambriw »

I would never ever build a control system for the house heating system using this type of equipment...

The reliability is by far not good enough with this kind of RF communication. It is maybe not so critical controlling lighting but I would assume that your house heating system must be functioning all times, also in the case when you are away and not able to monitor the operation.

Normally for this type of application you would use wired sensors and control solutions and some kind of embedded automation software type PLC or similar. Only wireless stuff I could imagine that eventually could qualify is Zig-Bee or Z-Wave.

Best regards, Walter
MagnusS

Post by MagnusS »

hi

I don't see why this is a big problem, but a agree it has to work.

telldus Net or other Api`s should be able to control the system just fine with RF. by the way, thats how a lot of mainstream companies is regulating their equipment today.I don't know if they are using 433Mhz, maybe they are using 868Mhz. i don't know if this has to be a problem.If you are talking about big factories or offices, i agree for the need of pls or other viewed system are needed cos the risks are high at failure.

There will be slightly more variables for system failure with this kind of RF , but this might not be a big issue.
the two main disfunction's i can think of is :
- teldus server is down
-power at home goes away

If server goes down on a critical point, that will be when we need heating. Since the Actuators is normally
open that will not be a issue. But what if every room is on an shut off mode when the server goes down? then we might have an problem. In my case, my house is a new one. that means it takes a long time b4 the temperature sinks to a critical point.

If the power goes away at home, then you are in trubble :)

Annyway, I realy don't think this is a big issue :)
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

Well, I hope it is your house and not someone elses...
MagnusS

Post by MagnusS »

Its an ide, and a funn project.
Zaman

Post by Zaman »

The big difference between the Tellstick solution and something like ZigBee or Z-wave is the direct feedback.
With a Tellstick you can't ask a unit what its current state is and you don't get any direct feedback whether the signal you send really reaches the receiver or not.
With the other two solutions you get it all but at a much higher cost.

If your project is a "nice to have but not the end of the world if it doesn't work cause I can fix it manually anyway"-kind of a project then Tellstick is a very affordable option.
If it's a "oh, no we're all going to burn since the switch didn't work!"-kind of a project I would suggest spending more money.

Your solution doesn't have to be wired, but a wired one adds more stability and security since it's harder interfere with/jam the signal.
MagnusS

Post by MagnusS »

is a "nice to have but not the end of the world if it doesn't work cause I can fix it manually anyway"-kind of a project.

:) now i have the switch in hand. lets hope teldus can talk with it. I just need to do some wire first.. ill let u know :)
Attachments
kobling.jpg
kobling.jpg (139.98 KiB) Viewed 10334 times
trikola

Post by trikola »

Well, just realized (after having initiated my own thread) someone else is working on just the same project as I am. Probably even the same actuators.

Did you succeed? How?