Update:DIY wireless temperature sensor for Tellstick

Moderator: Telldus

free30

Re: Update:DIY wireless temperature sensor for Tellstick

Post by free30 »

So I've managed to get 5 temp/humidity and 4 temp only sensors running up together quite nicely. I'm using lithium 18650 batterys with them and when fully charged they seem to last for ever.

Don't think I need many more, well I could always find a home of a couple more temp/humidly sensors.

So I think I'll try and build a few movement sensors, in the next few weeks. I've got five PIR sensors awhile ago in readiness, but I thought this time to keep it easy for myself I would use your printed circuit board. If I order a few from your site (http://foogadgets.tictail.com) would you do me a deal on 7 boards and and couple more dh22 senors ? Oh I need 5 more PICs too.
niclasf

Update:DIY wireless temperature sensor for Tellstick

Post by niclasf »

Sounds very nice. My test setup with a cr2032 feeding a sensor with one ds18b20 is still going. However I expect it to give in any day now. I can see that the voltage curve start to decline faster and faster. Based on this, your 18650 will last "forever" as you say.

Of course I will make you a deal. Contact me through the foogadgets-email with a list of the things you need, and I am sure that we can agree. I think I already have all that you need at home, so you will no have to wait for long.
lioelec

Post by lioelec »

Hi niclasf

Wireless energy meter is out of stock, when you could provide it ?
Are you maybe kit version ?

regards
telldus Live!, http://tellmon.net, http://templight.se, Domospeak
tellstickNet rev17
20x otio,chacon,phoenix,GAO
2x THN132N
1x niclasf wireless t° sensor
niclasf

Post by niclasf »

I plan to have a few verified and ready in the beginning of next week.
free30

Post by free30 »

How is the CO2 meter sensor testing coming on?
I'm using humidity to control ventilation but I think Co2 would also be a good measure for increasing air flow.

Where's the best place to get a CO2 sensor, me being in the UK?
Its a Senseair s8 you're using?
niclasf

Post by niclasf »

I have got it to work kind of :)
Problem is that it gets stuck in the measure-transmit loop.
Development slow now for various reasons. I hope to get things done in the coming weekend.

It is a S8 from Senseair I am using.
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

Cool how much and where can you buy those modules ? pairing it with a MAX485 would be interesting.
niclasf

Post by niclasf »

I have contacted SenseAir about where those modules can be bought.

I think that support for the MAX485 would be a completely other project some other time :) sorry.
Is there a usecase for this? As far as I have seen it is mainly 1-wire that is used for home appliances.
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

Well as I read the datasheet it looked like you could attach it directly and run simplex rs485 modbus.
Have never tried 1wire, but I use modbus quite often (not at home) and it's a simple protocol.
simonbove

Post by simonbove »

perkabolo wrote:So, with the gas sensors... Would it be possible to builder a tellstick compatible smoke alarm?
For smoke alarm check our wiki.

http://tellstick-net.wikia.com/wiki/NON ... ff_etc..)#
free30

Post by free30 »

Re : sensair S8

Well there are two places I see where you can buy the sensor.
I guess I'd go for the standard range with 400 to 2000 ppm (3%). Seems like the sellers are a bit confused about scale with one quoting 400 to 32,000 ppm.
Either way have you been working with the standard one? It a very costly sensor so I'm waiting till I know I'll be able to get it working.

https://www.m.nu/s8-co2matare-fran-sensair-p-1440.html

PDF
http://www.driesen-kern.de/downloads/se ... 0020dk.pdf
Last edited by free30 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niclasf

Post by niclasf »

I have an S8 that measures 400-2000 ppm.
If you have a multi-sensor and if you have a pickit2, I can send you the alpha firmware.
Co2 sensor readings work all fine and I think the 1-wire bus works ok as well.

Edit: Updated S8 measuring range.
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

Hello Niclas,

I am not fully updated on all the options you do provide and the current state but I have one question related to the protocols. Have you considered also to provide Oregon protocol as alternative to UPM/ESIC?

Reason for asking is that Oregon is a *better/more reliable* protocol and it is much better detected by receivers.

Best regards, Walter
niclasf

Post by niclasf »

I have considered this, but left it undone since I already supported two protocols including checksum calculation. I feel very comfortable with the reliability of both protocols.

Could you explain more about "much better detected by receivers"?
As far as I know the range is purely the transmission power and antenna theory. This is unchanged in between the protocols.
I have not seen any detection problems with any of the two ESIC/UPM protocols. I have however improved both protocols w.r.t. detection. This in combination with a high transmission power rf-module, makes this wireless sensors range quite impressive.
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

Hi Niclas,
I already supported two protocols
- which ones?
Could you explain more about "much better detected by receivers"?
The Oregon protocol has a lot of sync pulses in the header which makes it easier to detect then the UPM/ESIC (they have only 2 sync bits in the header). Also my experience having multiple number of sensors of various kind is that signals from Oregon devices reaches the receivers more reliable (longer distances and through walls etc), they are simply the best (and most expensive, I know). At least if you compare them 'out of the box'. If you have a stronger transmitter in the sensor, of course this can help but then you need to consider the regulation that actually exists.

Anyway I was just curious since in the later versions of the firmware for one of the common transceivers the sensitivity for UPM/ESIC has been degraded and the explanation I have received is the above.

Best regards, Walter