Outlet plug RANDOMLY turning on / ZNet Lite V2

Moderator: Telldus

mrtienpham

Outlet plug RANDOMLY turning on / ZNet Lite V2

Post by mrtienpham »

Hello,

I have one plug that randomly turns on. It only randomly turns ON, but not OFF. Is this something that happens to anyone else? It turns on randomly 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes every day, sometimes every few days. Again, randomly.

I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. Can someone please help? I honestly don't know how to solve this.

Thank you,

Tien

Here's the possible issues and what I've tried:

1) The outlet is malfunctioning - I bought 3 new ones (Nexa MYCR-2300) and of those, one still turns on randomly. It's not connected to the same light or paired remote button.

2) The remotes are malfunctioning - I have the outlet connected to 3 remotes and the Tellstick. One of those is a dedicated dual-wall switch, the other two are multibutton remotes. I need these for convenience so I I haven't tested removing batteries from the remote. None of the other connected devices are showing problems. I will try to remove the battery from one of them at a time to see, but it will take a long time to figure out.

3) The Tellstick is malfunctioning - I checked the online log of the device and it doesn't seem to be activated. Is there a more in-depth log that might show a random signal being sent? I don't have any scheduled events. I tried changing the Unit Code, but should I also try changing the House Code?

4) My phone's apps are acting up - I have Remotestick, Telldus app, and Tasker. I don't have any scheduled events and I turned off any Tasker tasks. I also turned on the logs and checked them, but they don't seem to tell me anything. I primarily use my phone or Alexa to control the lights. I suppose I could delete one of the apps for a short period, but again, it will take a long time to figure out and is inconvenient.

5) My Amazon Echo is malfunctioning - I don't know how to even check if it's causing the Tellstick to activate. Again, the Telldus Live log isn't telling me anything.
etompau

Re: Outlet plug RANDOMLY turning on / ZNet Lite V2

Post by etompau »

Hard to say what goes wrong, to my knowledge you can trust the on-line log, if your Tellstick sends an command it will show up in the log.
The standard action when there are some strange phenomena is to clear the entire memory in the receiver and then re-programmer it. But in your case you have replaced the receiver, so it's perhaps not applicable here.

When did this phenomena start? Has the system/receivers worked OK for some time, and then suddenly one receiver starts to tun on by itself?
What kind of load is connected to the receiver? No strange inductive or high wattage load?
mrtienpham

Post by mrtienpham »

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

So, yesterday, I took out the battery from one remote. The light came on randomly at 19:37. I checked the log immediately and nothing was shown except my Alexa command to turn off the light.

There isn't much load on it - it's just a lamp with two halogen bulbs. Prior to that, the old "faulty" one was connected to a CFL bulb.

I thought, maybe it has to do with sunset and that my phone was somehow triggering it (though there are times I come home in the afternoon and it's on). So I went to my phone and for some reason, the Twilight app was running - it's a screen filtering app. I noticed that sometimes, it just randomly turns on as well, but never thought to connect the two issues.

I took out the battery from the second remote. I'll see if tomorrow, it randomly turns on. If not that, I'll take out the battery from the third remote, and if I find nothing, I'll remove Twilight. Failing that, I'll uninstall Remotestick and the Telldus app.

I honestly don't know what is going on and it's quite irritating. I am hoping it is not one of the remotes because I have to then go buy another one and reprogram the embedded wall sockets where I have Nexa inbuilt controls.

Any suggestions? I'm only able to catch it because I'm home from work this week, so I hope I can debug it before I start work again.

Tien
etompau

Post by etompau »

Remove the device in Telldus Live and see what happens.
mrtienpham

Post by mrtienpham »

So, I removed the batteries from 2 of the remotes and the light still turned on. There is a third remote, but I'll wait to test that one.

Per your suggestion, I deleted the unit on Telldus Live. I need access to it remotely, so I readded it and rediscovered it on Alexa. If it turns on randomly, I'll just delete it completely for a day or so and use the manual remote to turn it on.

Maybe that should have been the first thing to do, but I wanted to see if it was the Tellstick or not. Anyhow, at this point, I'll settle for it not randomly turning on.

Tien
mrtienpham

Post by mrtienpham »

So, it just turned on again. I've removed the battery from the THIRD (and final remote). It is still not showing up on the logs when it turned on, so I'm questioning if it's the Tellstick or not.

Can other remotes accidentally trigger it, even though they technically aren't paired? I have 3 other wall switches in the house - 1 or two of them might have accidentally been paired to this particular outlet, BUT I removed it.

I'm completely at a loss and it's driving me nuts. I'll try removing the apps on my phone next. YARGGGGG!

Tien
etompau

Post by etompau »

Make a complete erase of the receiver´s memory. Depending of receiver type, you do it either from the "learn" button (long press+press) or by sending a "group off" from a remote control when the receiver in learning mode.
If the receiver doesn't turn on, you know the hardware is OK. Subscribe the receiver again to the device in Telldus live, wait for the result.
mrtienpham

Post by mrtienpham »

If I do a complete erase, do I have to "re-learn" all of the recievers? If so, that's way too much of a task (I have many embedded ones behind the light plug). If somehow, the information is retained, then I will try it. Do you know if it is?

Tien
etompau

Post by etompau »

You do this operation on the affected receiver, all other receivers are unaffected.
If it's a Nexa MYCR-2300, you need to send a "group off" from a remote control when the receiver is in pairing mode (see manual).

With this type of receiver, which has no pairing button, it's quit easy to falsely subscribe it to some other transmitter. A power break or similar will automatically put the receiver in pairing mode when power is restored, if it picks up a valid code during pairing time it will automaticity be paired to this transmitter/device.
mrtienpham

Post by mrtienpham »

Just wanted to say thank you and follow up. I finally got around to resetting the receiver and it seems to be good now (hasn't randomly turned on in a three days that I have noticed).

I guess it was just something going on with the receiver rather than some errant signal. Wish I knew exactly why, but fixed is better than not fixed. Hehe...

Tien