Status of the Tellstick

Moderator: Telldus

plastbox

Status of the Tellstick

Post by plastbox »

I saw today's xkcd and immediately thought of the Telldus-guys:

Yes, Telldus-guys. I'm talking about..
  • telldus-core
  • the theoretically awesome Tellstick Duo we all spent so long waiting for and are still trying to use to it's potensial
  • confirmed issues several years old with no updates or resolution
  • lackluster documentation
  • ..and worst of all.. the unwillingness to confirm the Duo (a product you still sell) and related software as dead or alive
If the Tellstick Duo is dead and no further fixes or software enhancements are forthcoming you really ought to release the specs for communicating with the Duo itself. If it's as "simple" as sending and receiving byte-streams specifying commands and timing (which seems to be the case) over a virtual (ftdi) serial port, we can make our own and open-source it. This would be a good thing for you as well, seeing as how you still sell the Duo, despite apparently not supporting it.

Until you either confirm anything older than the Net as dead and release relevant documentation, or start furiously fixing telldus-core, I'll not recommend anyone do business with you. A small thing, perhaps, but refusing to give clear answers about a product you still have in your webshop... Well, it gives off a certain unpleasant smell.
svartöra

Re: Status of the Tellstick

Post by svartöra »

The source code has been available for a long time - or am I just confused?

http://developer.telldus.com/browser
plastbox

Re: Status of the Tellstick

Post by plastbox »

svartöra wrote:The source code has been available for a long time - or am I just confused?

http://developer.telldus.com/browser
It has, but since when did it become our responsibility to help keep a product that's still being sold in working order?

It's been 2 years (and 3 days) since telldus-core was last updated, and that was a trivial edit to the CMake-files. Three years past, in early 2014, we got another inconsequential CMake-file edit and two small fixes. I've asked them several times whether the products depending on telldus-core are still supported, but answers seem hard to come by.

Either be honest about not wanting or having the resources to maintain the software, spend a few days putting together a decent write-up, release the documentation, and get high-fives from developers all'round...

..or support the damned product you're still selling.