TellstickNet lost contact

Moderator: Telldus

gsm

TellstickNet lost contact

Post by gsm »

Hi

I have 2 TellstickNet devices, one in Sweden and one in Holland. In each house I have a THGN132N temp sensors and a few Viking 02811
Problem is that i lost contact many times and for a long time, for example at this moment last temp is from 23-1-2017 for the Viking and 31-1-2017 for the THGN132N as well in Holland as in Sweden
What can be the problem ?
etompau

Re: TellstickNet lost contact

Post by etompau »

I noticed that you reported more or less the same problem a few years ago in this forum. You got some advices on how to correct the problem, what was the outcome of this?

The signal from the sensors is very weak, it can take some adjustment before a stable and correct data transmission is achieved.
Some suggestions:

- re-positioning of sensors and/or the Tellstick Net
- use an external antenna on the Net
- modify the sensor and connect an external antenna (a small cable connected to the transmitter output on the PCB)
- ensure that you use fresh batteries, especially now when then the outside temperature in Sweden is falling below zero
- watch out for electrical noise from from router/power supplies/cables, this can disturb the receiving of 433 MHz signals
move this kind of equipment away from the Net/antenna
- moist/water in the sensor, affecting the transmission functions
- try another brand/type of sensor
gsm

Post by gsm »

Yes I know and I check everything at that time but now it also happen in Holland too.
To answer your advice :
I try to re-position the sensors and new batteries but nothing helps I even re-position the net but then I loose contact with my Proove on-off switch.
I have not try an external antenna but both sensors are now next to the net and even then it does not work correctly
Most common problem is the Viking sensors, maybe I should replace them by an other one but what is a good sensor ?
It can not be bad to install an external antenna so what is a good one ?
etompau

Post by etompau »

gsm wrote:Yes I know and I check everything at that time but now it also happen in Holland too.
To answer your advice :
I try to re-position the sensors and new batteries but nothing helps I even re-position the net but then I loose contact with my Proove on-off switch.
I have not try an external antenna but both sensors are now next to the net and even then it does not work correctly
Most common problem is the Viking sensors, maybe I should replace them by an other one but what is a good sensor ?
It can not be bad to install an external antenna so what is a good one ?

OK, if you have the sensors next to the Net and you don't still get any correct updates, I would say that you either have some kind of hardware fault or heave radio disturbances on the 433 MHz-band.
Take a look at the sensor, there should be a small transmitting icon or LED, when this icon flashes, you should see your Net flashing with a blue colour and a second later the temp.data on the PC screen is updated.
If you can't get reliable (i.e. every 60-90 seconds) temp.data updates with this set-up, a new antenna will not help.

If you have access to a radio (scanner), tunable to 433,920 MHz you can easily listen to the data transmissions from sensors and also determine if there are any disturbances on the band.

A smart sensor with several possibilities is the Wireless Multi Sensor ( http://foogadgets.tictail.com/products/hardware ) to the Multi sensor you can connect one or several sensors on a three wire data bus.
gsm

Post by gsm »

Thank you, the THGN132N came online again
The Viking are still off line in Holland and in Sweden, they are the problem all the time so I think I am going to replace them.
I think about to buy this one 312623 from the Telldus webshop hopefully that one works much better then the Viking
I also think to buy some parts from your link foogadgets, just to experiment.
For now I have to wait until the Viking in Sweden come online again because it is offline since 31 january but today I saw an unknow sensor in Sweden. It say -51,9°C so I stay in Holland for a while :lol:
gsm

Post by gsm »

Just an update about the Viking sensor, it still is off-line even the display works fine so I open the sensor to see if something is wrong and yes something is wrong.
A capasitor has been collaps and the problem is I don´t know the value because there is nothing printed on the capasitor.
I have two option : one who know the value so that I can try to repair the sensor and two is throw it away
I prefer the first option so if someone can help me I appreciate it very much
etompau

Post by etompau »

The picture is a little bit out of focus, but the red material seen on the capacitor might be for preventing the capacitor moving out of tune.
You could simply try to rotate the capacitor with a small screw driver back and forth and see if the transmissions starts to work again. Without correct test equipment it will be a matter of trial&error.

I guess the blue capacitor has a range of 2,7pF-10pF.

https://www.electrokit.com/trimkondensa ... -np0.51487
PetriK

Post by PetriK »

Have you noticed this ? Are we experiencing same issue ?

http://forum.telldus.com/viewtopic.php? ... 524#p35827
gsm

Post by gsm »

No I have not yet but I will read it later but you lost it for hours but I lost it for weeks or months as you can see on the picture