Tellstick DUO - message bus integration

Moderator: Telldus

geirgp

Post by geirgp »

Hi,

I've had the "old" Tellstick for a few years now, and have just ordered the DUO in order to read various sensors as well as capture physical button pushes.

I've previously used pakerfeldt's python-based remotestick https://github.com/pakerfeldt/remotestick-server for a simple web ui and rest interface to control my devices, but with the DUO's added capabilities (receving data) I am looking at a more advanced integration.

Basically I need an abstraction layer for the low level C libraries and was wondering if anyone as integrated the DUO with some kind of message bus with publish/subscribe capabilities. I'm thinking that the DUO would publish any events (sensors, button presses, etc) to the appropriate channels on the message bus, and subscribe to some other channels in order to control devices.

My applications could then subscribe to appropriate channels in order to receive data (1), and publish to other channels to control devices (2):

1:
sensor update/physical button press -> RF -> Tellstick DUO -> message bus -> my application(s) -> do something with data
2:
my application(s) sends a command -> message bus -> Tellstick DUO -> RF -> device on/off/dim

I'm hoping to get some positive feedback, but if not I'm considering implementing support for MQTT or something similar.

Anyone? :)
krambriw

Re: Tellstick DUO - message bus integration

Post by krambriw »

Well, depending on how much you would like to do yourself and what is your target platform, maybe you could check the python wrapper that has been developed (you find it in the Linux section).

Otherwise, if you like python and accept Windows, you could check EventGhost and use my Tellstick Duo plugin. The functions you are giving examples of are since long already supported, just a matter of simple configuration and you are done.

Best reg. Walter
Videonisse

Post by Videonisse »

Isn't tellduscore what you are asking for? http://developer.telldus.se/
geirgp

Post by geirgp »

I've decided to use MQTT as an integration platform for all my home automation equipment (not limited to the tellstick), and have now implemented the first version of a telldus-core <-> mqtt driver in python. features:
* publish devices/sensors to mqtt on startup
* publish device/sensor events to mqtt
* control devices by sending messages to mqtt.

Any application that needs to communicate with the duo can inherently do so over the network with the MQTT protocol (which is supported on a variety of platforms such as arduino, java, python, etc).

The code quality is in a POC state now and I'll share it on GitHub later on when I've done a rewrite. However, let me know if you're interested in the code before it gets to this point.

Cheers,
Geir
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Hi Geir
I know this is old, but I would like to know if you finnished the inegration of the Tellstick-DUO with MQTT?
I searched your github but could not find anything there.

Regards
Paul