Nexa LWMR-210/230 in a hallway

Moderator: Telldus

pekkak

Nexa LWMR-210/230 in a hallway

Post by pekkak »

Hi!

I have a hallway with 6 halogen lamps and two light switches one in each end of the hallway. Is it possible to control these lights with a Nexa LWMR-210 or 230 with Tellstick when there are two light switches which both have three wires instead of two like in the picture below?
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.73 KiB) Viewed 11823 times
If I install a Nexa only behind one of the switches, it only works when the other switch is on.
etompau

Re: Nexa LWMR-210/230 in a hallway

Post by etompau »

This is a common question, and the simple answer is no. The LWMR-210 and 230 models are constructed and designed to be constantly in series with a live wire. With a "two switch system/stair connection" you disconnect the live wire and the Nexa unit simply don't get any power feeding.
bobbano

Post by bobbano »

The simple answer is no BUT the correct answer yes. I've done this at home in the basement where I have two lamps and two light switches. It CAN be kind of tricky based on where the wires in the walls/roof are.

Take a look at this picture:
http://www.byggahus.se/forum/el/205664- ... ost1648178

It's in swedish and this is for three light switches, but the principle is the same (just remove the middle one from the picture and you're good to go).

I ended up having to add an extra wire to get all necessary wires at the same place.
pekkak

Post by pekkak »

I don't quite get it from the Swedish discussions. Where did you add a new wire? Between the switches, for Nexa or where?
etompau

Post by etompau »

Another way of solving your problem is by disconnecting the wall switches, splice together the wires, mount transmitters WBT-912 in the junction boxes and connect them to the existing wall switches. Then mount a suitable Nexa receiver at the power feeding for the lamps.
bobbano

Post by bobbano »

pekkak wrote:I don't quite get it from the Swedish discussions. Where did you add a new wire? Between the switches, for Nexa or where?
I added one wire to get the live wire ("phase", which goes in to one of the switches) and the wire that goes to the lamps ("slow match/switched phase", the one that goes out from the other switch) in the same junction box (which was behind one of the lamps). You'll need to connect the live wire and the "slow match/switched phase" (i.e. the wire from the switch to the lamp) to the Nexa. Then you connect the "tentacles" from the Nexa to the wires that goes to the switches.

This is very easy to do if you only have one switch since the live wire and the slow match is connected to the same light switch, but if you have two or more switches to the same lamp, you have to find a junction box where the wires meet (or, in my case, add wires so the DO meet in the same box).

Hope that clears it up a bit. If not, let med know and I'll try to explain more.
bobbano

Post by bobbano »

etompau wrote:Another way of solving your problem is by disconnecting the wall switches, splice together the wires, mount transmitters WBT-912 in the junction boxes and connect them to the existing wall switches. Then mount a suitable Nexa receiver at the power feeding for the lamps.
This way you can't use the existing light switches. But on the other hand, it wasn't clear if he wanted to be able use the existing switches or not...
etompau

Post by etompau »

Yes he can. He connects the switches to the terminals of the transmitters. Close the switch, an on-signal is sent. Open the switch and an off-signal is sent.
OK, you don't get exactly the same "switching behaviour" though.
bobbano

Post by bobbano »

Aah, you're correct. Then there's two ways of doing it. But your way is more expensive (since you need three Nexa-items) :)