Heavy Duty Appliance Switch

Moderator: Telldus

splendid

Heavy Duty Appliance Switch

Post by splendid »

Hi,
I'm looking for a good quality heavy duty socket switch. I've been using HomeEasy ones (HE302) but they keep failing when used on a storage heater. Not really suprising as the heater is rated at 3.2kw and the HE302s are only rated to 3kw. I've seen some Z-wave products rated at 3500W. Anyone know of something with a similar rating compatible with tellstick?
Will pay a premium for something reliable!
krambriw

Re: Heavy Duty Appliance Switch

Post by krambriw »

This one is rated for 3500W

LGDR-3500 / Extra

http://www.nexa.se/LGDR-3500-Extra-.htm

Site in Swedish unfortunately
splendid

Post by splendid »

Looks great. Except I live in the UK!

1) Would it be safe to use european adapators?
2) Is anyone aware of a similar UK version of the product?

Thanks again!
omicronCZ

Post by omicronCZ »

Conrad GB - Home Easy Steckfert.Schalter f.Outdoor Use
Max. Breaking capacity : 3500 W
Outdoor radio switch

Its the same as NEXA...
splendid

Post by splendid »

Thanks for the reply omicron! Looking at the picture its doesn't look like it has a UK plug type. Also the HomeEasy model number is HE431EU which also makes me think its won't be the right sort for me. Any clue if I'm right?
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

You need an adapter that is rated to handle the power, then you should be fine.
micke.prag
Site Admin

Post by micke.prag »

Please note that HomeEasy EU is not compatible with TellStick. HomeEasy UK seems to work just fine.
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies
splendid

Post by splendid »

Good to know, thanks Micke. Any other UK 3500W devices out there?
splendid

Post by splendid »

Was in B&Q today and saw these. Any idea if this Siemens range is compatible?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... 1113733142

I love the socket in the link above but can't find any information at all about them.
Key872003

Post by Key872003 »

The Siemens switches and plugs are made by JSJS Designs and also come under the name of LightwaveRF. I purchased a light switch to try it out and none of the settings available to me using my Tellsick NET would let me control the lights. I am very disappointed because they are good looking switches, they also have some other good lights, and heating controls... I'm after a 3 gang remote light switch that I can control via the Tellstick NET.

So if anyone from Telldus is reading this and can get these control devices included into the Tellsticks list of Compatable devices, I'm pretty sure you'll get a few people smiling, including me.
redeyedrob

Post by redeyedrob »

JSJS, as far as I know, designed the Home Easy Ultimate range.

There's been a variety of chat on their forums regarding their WiFiLink (slightly misleadingly named equivalent of the Tellstick Net) supporting HomeEasy kit but they don't have any plans. They have hinted that the Lightwave RF protocol is a development of the HE ultimate protocol.

At the moment they are planning some sort of info release on their UDP protocol which at the moment is not documented, however there has been no suggestion they will document their RF protocol. I've posted a question on their forums asking if it's planned for release or they've taken a decision to keep it undocumented but as yet they've not replied.

One issue for Tellstick control may be frequency - I've seen specs suggesting Lightwave is operating at 433 and 868 MHz, however I can't see any details as to what products are operating at what frequency.

It would seem sensible for JSJS to allow Tellstick control, I'm guessing the boost to sales from existing Tellstick users would outweigh any loss of sales of their WiFiLink. Depends how guarded they are on the RF protocol I guess.
xallers

Post by xallers »

redeyedrob wrote:no suggestion they will document their RF protocol.

One issue for Tellstick control may be frequency - I've seen specs suggesting Lightwave is operating at 433 and 868 MHz, however I can't see any details as to what products are operating at what frequency.

It would seem sensible for JSJS to allow Tellstick control,.
I have some of their stuff as well - from various comments on their forum and reading the manuals 868MHz is only used by the electricity power monitor and the radiator valves (re badged Techno Line) and 433 MHz is used to control the SiemensJSJS light dimmers/smart CFLs and socket outlets/adapters. Also they stated somewhere the protocol is one way which rules out any cryptographic handshakes so they most likely behave similarly (but not identical) to eg a nexa so it should be possible to control the SiemensJSJS dimmers/sockets from a tellstick with suitable software amendments to generate the relevant parts of the "LightwaveRF" protocol.

It would certainly be my preference to be able to control the Siemens/JSJS devices from a more open and flexible platform such as the tellstick range.
jonasolof

Post by jonasolof »

http://www.chacon.be sells a remore controlled plug which is rated 3500 W, works fine with Tellstick net. Reference number 54585. You'd have to use adaptor plugs though since they use the french earth pin. That plug is easily available in Brico stores in Belgium.
xallers

Post by xallers »

xallers wrote:
redeyedrob wrote:no suggestion they will document their RF protocol.
It would certainly be my preference to be able to control the Siemens/JSJS devices from a more open and flexible platform such as the tellstick range.
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Prod ... aveRF.html

Looks like the RFXCom guys had the same idea already - if telldus follow then that'll be a telstick net order secured from me :-)
lellis2k

Post by lellis2k »

Did anyone ever get the tellstick working with LightwaveRF?