TellStick Duo - experience during testing

Moderator: Telldus

krambriw

TellStick Duo - experience during testing

Post by krambriw »

This is my experience so far with the TellStick Duo. The report form did not cover this "larger" input so I post the detailed info here in this beta test forum

1) It feels like if the Duo goes into a kind of sleep mode after a while when the system is in idle and it does not react to remote signals to start.
After several repeats, it "wakes up" and starts to recognize signals again

2) The responsiveness of Duo is slow when sending/receiving frequently. It needs a generous delay of roughly a couple of seconds in between every command or message reception to work smoothly

3) If I control the Duo from my application (EG) I can see that the commands are actually sent out by the Duo (since I also have other receivers connected to EG) but the status in Telldus Center is sometimes not correctly updated. Also the callbacks are missing in these situations

4) The coverage/sensitivity of the receiver is much too low, the coverage is just about a 4 m radius

5) The coverage/transmission effect is comparable with my other home built transmitters and has about 75% reach compared to those. This is also something that can be noticed with (Nexa) receivers installed hidden, you need to position the Duo much closer to those than with receivers mounted open. Maximum reach outdoor to my test-receiver was approx 50 metres compared to my home made transmitters and the RFXCOM which all have around 75-100 metres in the same setup (outdoor, same receiver)

6) If improvements on reception/transmission can be made with better = larger antenna is a question mark

7) The antenna contact should have been sma that would allow easy change of antennas

Best regards, Walter
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

Suddenly, I got a raw message with a nice content (most of the times, it is empty or just holds a single random character)
Must be a neighbour with sartano stuff

Code: Select all

INFO:root:RawEvent: 
INFO:root:RawEvent: protocol:sartano;code:0001000010;method:turnoff;
and another one this morning...

INFO:root:2010-06-23 10:58:13: RawEvent: O
INFO:root:2010-06-23 10:58:13: RawEvent: protocol:arctech;type:selflearning;house:1811118;group:0;method:turnoff;unit:2;
INFO:root:2010-06-23 10:58:16: RawEvent: &
INFO:root:2010-06-23 10:58:16: RawEvent: &
micke.prag
Site Admin

Re: TellStick Duo - experience during testing

Post by micke.prag »

Thank you for all your input.
I have just commited som bugfixes for just raw events. Hopefully raw events will work better in 2.0.102 (not yet released).
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

Using latest TelldusCenter -2.0.103

Telldus Center & EventGhost in paralllel

Seems to work fine now, status changes are correctly updated in applications when changed. Closing applications does not affect still running application

When pressing ON buttons on standard Nexa code switch remotes, I get

13:13:14   TellStickDuo.RawEvent: protocol:arctech;type:codeswitch;house:C;unit:6;method:turnon;Duo_ID:3
13:13:14   TellStickDuo.RawEvent: protocol:sartano;type:codeswitch;code:1011010110;method:turnoff;Duo_ID:3
13:13:14   TellStickDuo.RawEvent: protocol:waveman;type:codeswitch;house:C;unit:6;method:turnon;Duo_ID:3
When pressing OFF buttons on standard Nexa code switch remotes, I get

13:13:36   TellStickDuo.RawEvent: protocol:arctech;type:codeswitch;house:C;unit:6;method:turnoff;Duo_ID:3
13:13:36   TellStickDuo.RawEvent: protocol:sartano;type:codeswitch;code:1011010110;method:turnoff;Duo_ID:3
Same as for ON but no waveman

Best regards, Walter
micke.prag
Site Admin

Post by micke.prag »

Great! Hopefully we are getting closer to a 2.1 release.

Regarding the limited range, we have change the receiving hardware in our newest prototypes and have experienced better range. A better firmware will also help. Do anyone experience any difference between firmware 2 and 3 regarding the range?
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies
krambriw

Post by krambriw »

Do anyone experience any difference between firmware 2 and 3 regarding the range?
I do not see any improvements on my unit, still the same

Best regards, Walter
zyberzero

Post by zyberzero »

How do I know which firmware my Tellstick Duo got?
I've tested the tellstickFlasher file from Win7 (x86) but it keeps telling me that there's no Tellstick (duo) found.
zyberzero

Post by zyberzero »

Forget it, I found an old mail that told me that I needed to stop the telldus service. Now it's found!

/Zyber