Sensor signals

Moderator: Telldus

MariusJ

Sensor signals

Post by MariusJ »

Hi.

Can i extend the signal from temperature sensors (433 mhz) to the Tellstick with 433 mhz extenders? If so, how many times can the signal be extended?

/Marius
etompau

Re: Sensor signals

Post by etompau »

No you can't. The commercial available range extender only handles signals to wall sockets not signals from sensors.
The transmission range from a sensor can be extended by soldering an external antenna to the transmitter of the sensor and/or using an external antenna on the Tellstick.
tronde

Post by tronde »

The only option I can see would work, is to make your own receiver and then let that receiver re-transmit the sensor value as a new sensor. It is quite popular on the net to make arduino based receivers for oregon sensors, and you can find transmitting code for PCR800, WMR800, THGR228N and THN132N. I have not seen this done, but it should be possible. Will only make sense if the distance is very long, I think.

Else you will have to play with more powerful transmitters in the exising sensors and / or better antenna on the Tellstick.

What kind of sensors do you have?
MariusJ

Post by MariusJ »

Thanks for the answers!

I have a Telldus indoor/outdoor temp. sensor, that i would like to use to measure the temperature in the ocean aprox. 80-90 m from the house.
By the way, the Tellstick model is the Znet lite v1

/Marius
etompau

Post by etompau »

Sounds like a good idea, to measure the ocean temperature.
You say that you have a ZNet ver.1, this type of gateway has only transmitting function on the 433 MHz band, no receiving!
Version 2 of the ZNet has both transmitting&receiving on the 433 band.
MariusJ

Post by MariusJ »

I forgot to write that i'm looking to buy a znet lite v2, but only if i find a solution first. Or i will just stick to zwave sensors monitoring indoor temperatures :D

/Marius
etompau

Post by etompau »

Without having a receiver on 433 MHz, it's hard to determine if a particular solution will work.
On set-up that might work, is to use a Multi sensor http://foogadgets.tictail.com/product/w ... sensor-mk3 and feed the transmitter module with 12 Vdc.
An higher voltage will increase the output power=increased tx distance.
arneolav

Post by arneolav »

Instead of increase power you may connect sensors by a cable (between sensor and transmitter) up to 100meters or more, depending on type of cable.
And you may connect more sensors at the end of the cable.