Motion detector and dimmer

Moderator: Telldus

Fredrik13

Motion detector and dimmer

Post by Fredrik13 »

Hello

I have a Proove motion detector paired to a Telldus dimmer for turning on the lights in the hallway. The light goes on without issues, but then it starts to dim the light up and down. The light goes from strong to nearly off, and back up again. My hope was that the motion detector would turn the light on, with the dimming as it was. Then turn the light off after 5 minutes. Anybody have an idea how to solve this?
etompau

Re: Motion detector and dimmer

Post by etompau »

This is a know limitation. A dimmer starts a dimming cycle when it's receives two or more consecutive on-commands, which can happens when a motion detector is paired with the dimmer.
You can avoid this, by controlling the dimmer via an event in Telldus live.
Fredrik13

Post by Fredrik13 »

Thank you for the reply. I am new to the whole smarthouse thing, so I would appreciate if you could tell me how the event should be set up? I tried to connect a Nexa wireless wall-switch with dimming to the same receiver, but that did not work either. It turns the light on but not off, and the same happens there. When I try to dim it starts to cycle,
etompau

Post by etompau »

As said,a dimmer starts a dimming cycle when it receives two or more on commands, with this function it's possible to adjust the dimming level from a wall switch/remote control. This is described in the different Nexa manuals. There they also state that motions sensors etc are not suitable for dimmers.
Turning on/off a dimmer from a wall switch should work OK.

You don't give much details about your system, but I assume that you have some Tellstick system as your platform.
Then you need to remove the pairing between sensor and dimmer, then:
- add the dimmer as a device in Live, verify that you can turn on the dimmer/lamp and adjust the dimming level
- add the sensor as a device in Live, verify that the lamp icon goes on/off when the sensor is triggered
- create an event, triggered by a on-signal from the sensor, and as an action you turn on the dimmer, with a selected dimming level
- create an event, triggered by an off-signal from the sensor, s an action you turn off the dimmer.

When using an event, there will be a small delay between sensor activation and activation of the receiver.
Fredrik13

Post by Fredrik13 »

I tried using events instead of connecting the motion sensor to the switch directly, but the delay was too long. I was through the hallway before the light came on. I solved it by connecting a on/off switch in the lamp, and paired it with the sensor. As long as the switch on the wall is on it works very well. I adjust the dimming on the wall switch and the sensor controls the on/off function. I do not need to be able to control the dimming with the tellstick so this solution works.

Thanks to etompau for the tips, which made me understand the system better. :D