A telldus solution for infrared?

Moderator: Telldus

error1

A telldus solution for infrared?

Post by error1 »

Hi! I know you're hard at work on the Tellstick Duo, but here's an idea for later: An IR receiver and transmitter. I think a lot of the hardware and concepts are the same for RF and IR anyway, so most of the hard work would be done in advance!

The reason i'm asking is that there's no easy solution for IR control right now. You can either build your own receiver, buy a MCE remote of some sort or get a TIRA, UIRT2 or USB-UIRT. All three products seem to be mostly abandoned by their creators.

Perhaps the Duo is able to do this already? I have some old X10 IR Powermids and i know the transmitter sends an IR signal whenever the Tellstick transmits nexa codes. That method would only work until your neighbor buys one though, since there's no concept of house codes in the IR world.
It would be cool to have IR transmitter and receiver jacks straight on the hardware, even cooler if it could be integrated with LIRC so you could control XBMC or the likes without extra hardware.

As long as i'm dreaming, throw in a connector that you could loop back into the power button connector on the PC so the Duo could turn the PC on and off with IR or RF signals :)

Doesn't that sound tempting?
micke.prag
Site Admin

Re: A telldus solution for infrared?

Post by micke.prag »

I am not going to lie. The discussion about IR has been up several times.

We are currently working very hard on the product after TellStick Duo (and no, I am not going to tell you what it is :wink:). Which project after that is not yet decided. IR is interesting, but is also opens up a whole new line of work. We believe we still have a lot of things to do on the RF front.

What I am trying to say is that the future direction is still open. We will keep our ears open for what you, our users, want.
Micke Prag
Software
Telldus Technologies
mickelin

Post by mickelin »

I disagree, there are plenty of solutions for IR. Most interesting is perhaps the iTach IP2IR by Global Caché. Also, the USB-UIRT is still alive and well.
sijto

Post by sijto »

I agree. Just bought a usb-uirt and it works lika a charm. The support in eventghost is superb.
mart123

Post by mart123 »

I've been trying to find a way to control my air conditioning (luftvärmepump) via my Tellstick Net and haven't found an acceptable solution so far. I've considered a project, but decided I probably don't have the time / patience! I have however come across this, which does exactly what I (and I think you other guys) want... http://www.clasohlson.com/se/IR-extende ... ve/36-5768

I just wish it worked with 433Mhz! I've looked at the new ZNet Lite which seems interesting, but I feel like I'd be crippling the rest of my system without the 433 receiver. Guess I'll just have to wait for the ZNet Pro to come out.

Unless anyone knows of a similar product to the Remotec ZXT-120 but for 433Mhz?... maybe one has appeared since this old thread was last active?